Fly Fusion Forums

Interesting Project For Someone Handy...

As a guy who is in the middle of building his second boat I would not walk, but run from this project. Here's a couple of problems is see based on the pictures.

- That's not marine plywood, which means the glue that holds the plys together may fail if it gets wet. Even if you encapsulate the boat with fiberglass, which you have to do, water will get in there.

- Those large joints on the side don't appear to be proper scarph joints, and the way that they are bent around the ribs looks like a failure point to me. There should be no sharp angles if they are done correctly.

- The ribs and rear transom appear to be made of pine. Pine wont last in a drift boat. Rot city.

- Sides look to be 1/2" plywood. That is going to be one heavy boat by the time you add glass and epoxy, not to mention seats and the interior.

$800 might be an okay price for the trailer, but there is only $100 worth of wood there. If your serious about building a boat, start with the proper materials unless you want a disposable boat.

Just my $0.02

Andrew

• Like 1