Fly Fusion Forums

Practice Casting In Closed Water

All,

I work downtown close to the river. I would like to practice my cast in the bow by work during my break time, I will be casting *without* a fly. Is there any reason this would be restricted given the water is closed for the spawn?

Personally I can't see anything wrong as long as like you say no fly used but if someone sees you and reports it it would be a waste of the CO's time to investigate.......apossible solution is to practise in a grassy park area close by if there is one.

I wouldn't they could likely argue that you just snapped the fly off when you seen em coming. I say why tempt fate.... I once wondered whether or not it was called fishing if you used a fly with no hook on closed waters. I determined after mulling it over that it probably would not be allowed regardless of whether your rig was capable of actually hooking a fish..... but I could be wrong.....

Have in the past done a lot of practice casting (spey) on closed waters on Vancouver Island. We always used yarn without hooks or at least with the bend of the hook cut off and never had a problem with the CO's. I think that if you are not trying to hide anything and are upfront if approached you shouldn't have a problem. Most poachers try to hide what they are doing.

Colin

Have in the past done a lot of practice casting (spey) on closed waters on Vancouver Island. We always used yarn without hooks or at least with the bend of the hook cut off and never had a problem with the CO's. I think that if you are not trying to hide anything and are upfront if approached you shouldn't have a problem. Most poachers try to hide what they are doing.

Colin

It's actually spey I am practicing with pink yarn for a fly :> As it turns out I found water about 10 minutes from my office downtown which is good looking and open. Tomorrow I plan to fish it for an hour versus just plant yarn on the seams :<

-al

Check the regs. I think you may be ok year round. But check. I have a bad memory. I carry mine every where I go and check them like 10 times before I cast. Practice cast on the lawn or in a park. Don't need open water for that.