Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Handling Procedures

Hello everyone I am on the Bow River Troutfitters email list and I got this email today regarding fish handling techniques.

I know this can be a very sensitive subject and not looking to start a firestorm here or anything but I felt most of the tips are pretty valid and reasonable. At a minimum worth a read and something to think about.

http://www.bowrivertroutfitters.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=56&cntnt01returnid=21

Cheers,

Russell

I really like the point about cutting the line if the fish has swallowed the hook too deep. Being the cheap Dutchmen that I am, I often shed a tear or two when I see a few dollars going down a fish's throat, but it is absolutely worth it. I've had my share of nasty experiences doing unnecessary damage to pike that decide to inhale a husky jerk (little harder to stomach when it's a $15 lure). There is nothing more rewarding than seeing a beautiful fish swim away unharmed after a spirited bout.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing they don't really touch on too much and I see folks do this ALL the time is the rapid movement of the fish back and forth through the water to get water into the gills. Please do NOT do this! It is unnatural for the fish and results in a temporary burst of energy, often out of your reach, before the artificially resuscitated fish goes belly up and floats downriver. It is akin to giving a human an electroshock to the heart and then turning off the machine. Please let the fish recover in an upright position, gently cradled, facing up current. When it is ready it will swim off.

Have fun fishing! :)

• Like 2