Fly Fusion Forums

Any G Loomis Dredger Owners?

Looking at getting this rod with my gift card, does anyone have it, or anyone have an opinion on it? I'm looking for a 7/8 wt that I can multipurpose for steel and salmon, as well as getting into some big rainbows in BC. This will be my first spey rod, but being that it is 'free' I'd like to make it a good one. Has to be a Loomis rod as its the shimano gift card ($1000)!

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/fly/rods/steelhead___salmon/roaringriver_dredger.html

Thanks in advance

slivers

Personally I would go Stinger or NRX as I like a light in hand rod with medium-fast action, but depends what you are looking for. This will be a slower, full flexing rod. If you are looking to get into something that is compatible for both steelhead and salmon you will want a rod in the 13' range that loads with a grain window between 500-625, so probably closer to an 8 or 8/9 weight. I find that rods for steelhead/salmon are typically a little heavy for even large rainbows, 8 weights don't have the sensitivity to detect light takes or preserve light tippets that 'bows often require, ie I find my self considerably overgunned on the Bow if I swing my 7120 2 hand rod (although it occasionally happens on windy days). Alternatively, I would not show up to toss T-14 and big bugs to Chinooks with my 7120 because I can guarantee that a) I will be working hard to get the big bug out to the thalweg with clunky overloaded casting, and B) I would likely have my ass handed to me because they tug- you want to be geared to put the pressure on that Chinooks often require to have any degree of success.

I agree with Riley and suggest the NRX. The latter would be much more versatile and would also work with scandi lines in case you want to swing dries for steelies. I used to own a Dredger, they are ridiculously soft full flexing rods. Having said that they are very good for throwing Skagit heads, heavy tips and big flies and designed specifically for this purpose. I found it messed up my timing though when I would grab one of my other spey rods which were stiffer and faster...

So I have to wait and see if shimano will let me pay the difference between my card and the rod price, if they don't, I will probably be looking at the GLX stinger. If they allow me to pay the difference, i will most likely aim for the NRX Scandi!

The wait is on to find out what Shimano comes back to me with.

I can't imagine them NOT allowing you to pay the difference??

....but that said,why the Scandi?You will be seriously overgunned with that cannon assuming the majority of your fishing is east of the Rockies with the occasional trip over the hills?

I'm not gonna try to tell you how to spend your $$,and have no idea how often you are able to get out to the coast,but for "one rod/do it all rod" for an Albertan,I'm guessing you'd get a lot more use and enjoyment out of a lighter stick,ie; something like a NRX U in 7/8 or even the 6/7 if your steelheading is limited to one or two trips/year?Even the 6/7 is a bit overkill for the Bow imho,but that NRX Scandi 9/10 will backcast a 2lb rainbow 60feet,lol.

I would agree with Vagabond, the Scandi only comes in 9/10 weight and would leave you over gunned for anything aside from big chinooks. Drop down a weight class for steelhead and most salmon fishing. The scandi would be a really fast rod, the universal would be a little more versatile for skagit-style casting.

I'm actually from the shuswap region, living in Calgary for many years now, and looking to spend more time out there this summer, and perhaps even relocate to the lower mainland in the next few years. This is why I am looking for a rod appropriate for steel and salmon!

What I'm seeing from most people, is the 7/8 range sounds like where I'd want to be, a bit light for big chinooks, but would probably do the trick for most others. I'm just waiting to hear back from the shimano rep! Here's to hoping :D

• 1 month later...

After careful consideration, I am going to purchase a 7wt GLX switch. Reason being, is although I have a 7wt rod that I do greatly enjoy, it will be nice to have a multipurpose, especially in the water I mainly fish. Plus, I already have a reel and floating, sink tip and now have a spey line a friend has sitting around. I'm hoping it will be a good addition and that I'll enjoy it!

Thanks for all your advice, but most the spey rods were just over budget, and I would need to purhcase reel, line etc. Perhaps in a few more years.