Fly Fusion Forums

Early Fall Mornings

marshall

I'm planning on heading down to the Bow on Saturday for the first time in a month or more.

With the cooler fall temps now, is there still enough action in the water around 8am? Or would I just be wasting my time until the water warms up a bit later in the morning? Also, am I going to have the most luck hitting the deeper, slower runs in the fall now?

Thanks for the advice guys! This is my first fall flyfishing and I'm really loving it so far.

I have been fishing mornings lately due to my work schedule, I'm usually on the water about 8am and done about noon. I've had luck on cold mornings fishing the deeper runs, then switching to riffles and more shallow water as the water warms up a bit. Most surface feeding I've been seeing is between my arrival and about 10am most days.

I don't think the water temperature is cold enough yet to force the trout into the really deep, slow water, and they must still be feeding steadily even on the colder mornings, because I'm still catching them.

Just my two cents.