Fly Fusion Forums

Hike In Lakes

It's been a long time since I posted on here but I am am wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for a nice lake to hike in to ? I am not looking for secret hotspots or anything and honestly the fishing doesn't even need to be that great , here is a couple things I am looking for though , a hike of around 5km one way that's pretty easy ( we have a 15 year old dog that is coming along) hmmm that is the major concern is his we'll being on the trail he is still fit but would tire out on long climbs and also is like a runaway train on the downhills lol ,any tips or suggestions would be great !!

Oh and it's. an overnight hike we want to do

Most of the easier lakes like Ribbon, Lillian, Galatea, pickle jar are all closed, so you don't have many options unless you want to go into Banff NP , eg Taylor Lake (6 km and C & R), but a nice campground. There is also the Point campground or the forks on upper k.

We were up there a few weekends ago and did ok! Falls were great, but a pretty strenuous hike, south side rocks are pretty good as well.

I'm pretty sure you already know that you require a NP license and a backcountry permit to camp. But you will be the only ones up there, Im sure. A side trip to O'Brian would be reco'd, as well!!

Let us know how you make out!

P

• 2 weeks later...

So we just ended up going to the point campground didn't fish at all so no report there , nice campground we enjoyed it a lot ,the old dog made it there with no problems although it was a slow hike at his pace but he is a trooper! So nice to be able to do even a short hike and camp over with him ! Thanks for the heads up on those campsites über fly