Fly Fusion Forums

New To Calgary

Hey guys,

I'm new to Calgary, moved from australia and being australian I've only ever done surf fishing, deep sea or rock fishing.

I've bought a fly rod and am heading out tomorrow to see if I can catch anything while I teach myself a new sport.

Was wondering if anyone knew any descent spots within an hour's drive of downtown where I could fish from the shore.

Looking forward to catching my first fish with a fly!!!

Cheers guys, any help is much appreciated :)

Agreed with what DRock said.

Lots of good spots south of Fish Creek. Also the room to back cast will make for less frustrating days to start.

Nice not having to drive very far to get on some quality water.

Welcome to Calgary by the way, I was just in Australia in January for a month. Pretty nice country you have over there too.

Cheers guys,

I had a look at fish creek last week when I was in the area, seems that most people say there and anywhere south of. I was going to try a few creeks coming off the lakes west of here, maybe barrier lake and around that area. Not sure how the fishing is but it's a nice area regardless. I'll hit up fish creek on the weekend!

Thanx again guys, and yeah muffin, australia's a pretty cool place :)

Cheers guys,

I had a look at fish creek last week when I was in the area, seems that most people say there and anywhere south of. I was going to try a few creeks coming off the lakes west of here, maybe barrier lake and around that area. Not sure how the fishing is but it's a nice area regardless. I'll hit up fish creek on the weekend!

Thanx again guys, and yeah muffin, australia's a pretty cool place :)

I haven't heard many good things about fishing in Barrier Lake unfortunately. Do yourself a favor, buy a leech pattern and a few small strike indicators and head over to Upper/Lower Kananaskis Lake. It's only another 20 minutes from Barrier. Even if you don't catch anything, the scenery is to die for.