Fly Fusion Forums

Crows Trip - Flat Water Tube Advice

heading down to the crows in late august. one day is a guided walk and wade with Brian Peace. The other day will be a float tube belly boat in one of the lake options in the area. Location is still TBD. Maybe Lees. I'm looking for some advice on rod/line setup. I have a 6 weight with a floating line on it. Can I get by with a dry line on a lake? What is a good leader/tip setup and method for fishing this way?

most of the lakes fish well with small nymphs (copper johns, bead head prince, bead head hare's ear, black leeches, small green leeches, chironomids) fished at varying depths under an indicator. I usually start with about 5ft and 6ft, with two different nymphs and move around a bit trying to locate fish. If I see surface activity I shorten up my depth to 3 and 4 ft, if no surface activity anywhere sometimes the bigger ones can be 9 to 14 ft deep (or more).

by the way this is Brian, I was going to reply to your e-mail but saw the post here, figured if someone else reads it at least they have also gained some insight :)

cheers