Fly Fusion Forums

Arizona And Area Fly Fishing

pigl

I and a buddy are going to a corporate retreat in Scottsdale in mid March this year coming up. We were thinking of trying to go early and get in a little fishing. We are thinking of either stopping over in New Mexico to fish the San Juan, or perhaps going north to fish the Colorado at Lee's Ferry. We have also heard that the Black River in Arizona is a good stream.

Has anyone fished any of these streams or have any suggestions for places near Phoenix/Scottsdale or good streams at which we could stop on the way down or thoughts on guides? Any intelligence would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

We were in Tucson several years ago and, like every year when we go someplace different for Mike's convention, we find the fly shop and go for a visit and a hat. We went to the one in Tucson and there were pics of the San Juan plastered everywhere. I don't recall there being any fishing around the area and thought it odd that they'd have such an extensive fly shop in the middle of no proximate fishing. It's kinda weird to see bridges that had signs with creek names over them and nothing but dry river bed and tumbleweeds.

I'd certainly give the San Juan some consideration - looks like it's what is done down there!

My understanding of US Geography is crap but if you're a reasonable distance from Eastern Utah I hear the Green River tailwater is a pretty sick fishery. You might want to give a couple of the shops (or the shop) in the area a call, also check out Arizona's fishing regulations, I think there are some pretty unique trout fisheries there.

I went to Farminton, New Mexico which is about a 1/2 hour drive from where the San Juan

river comes out of the Navajo dam. I went at about the same time of year that you will be

in Scottsdale. The river was in full flood. The only place that you could fish the river was just

below the dam. It is a great fishery with over 3000 fish per mile and only about 1/4 the size

of the Bow. Lots of small flies in the 18-26 range. The big hatches are Midges.

Lee's Ferry is also a good place to try.

Great advice above, I'd recommend heading up 87 from Scottsdale into the mountains along the Apache Trail and hitting some of the cool desert gulch creeks. It looks like amazing fishing, where you have to avoid snakes and cactus on your way to find trout.

Ask on the http://www.smallstreams.com/ board. Lots of folks from Arizona, and they'll be able to hook you up with some great fly shops and maybe point you to some Arizona water.