Fly Fusion Forums

First Time Out

I'm hoping to get out today or tomorrow. It depends on work and weather. I was thinking on heading to fish creek. I do t know the area too well but can get to the ranch restaurant, which is a tasty spot. I don't have too many flies so ill try a sjw and a prince bead, both tied but me. So here is to hoping.

The question is how do I drive to a, not your secert spot, spotting practice a few casts and maybe hook on

If you are thinking Fish creek park I am assuming the west side although there is good fishing to be had on each side.

If you come in on the west side though I personally like to walk south as there are a few good spots that way.

As it is your first time out this could also be nice if you are right handed. The reason I say this is you can cast parallel to the bank which will give you lots of room behind without fear of snagging. Although any spot with lots of open room behind you will be fine for casting practice and there are plenty of open areas.

Just remember to be patient and make sure to watch your line especially if you are going with 2 flies. On your backcast make sure to give it lots of time for the line to straighten out or else you will spend all day untying your flies. Another thing, keep an eye on your line while casting, if you do tangle on yourself and catch it early then you can usually fix it quickly, if you don't notice it and you have a big mess of stuff you are just best to cut it and setup your rig again. I like to take a zip loc bag with me to hold the line when I do that as I try to keep the river clean.

Also if you find you are having some issues with 2 flies I personally found just casting one fly to be easier and a little more forgiving so don't be afraid to give that a shot if your patience is wearing thin.

Also I did notice some fish rising last weekend so keep your eyes open. I am not sure I would recommend switching to a dry fly at this point as they were rising pretty randomly but it would be a good indication of where fish are at least.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Instead of turning into the Ranch Restaurant, continue over Fish Creek. Park at either of the two parking lots closest to the river. There is great fishing to be had in that area in either direction! (up or down stream) Good luck!

Policeman's Flats is not too far out of town as well. Walk upstream of the parking lot to the first long run and the riffle at the head of it and usually you can at least **** chat with a few folks fishing the area who probably have an idea of what they are doing. It helps to watch folks who are catching fish too. Good luck out there!

I got out to fish creek and no luck. I tried a sjw I think I had a strike, it didn't feel like rocks. I have to work on my presentation. Oh well next time. I'm up for a go anytime after about five or six if anyone wants to join.

I think you have the right idea - try to get out with one of the super-slayers on here and let them critique your technique - in principle, nymphing sounds pretty easy, in reality, it requires some skill and a small error in technique will prevent success in most cases. I learned by trial and error, and that can be frustrating, especially if you have no idea what your doing wrong. If you can feel rocks on your drift your def headed in the right direction.