Fly Fusion Forums

New Patterns

Flytyer

This question has crossed my mind many times and Brian's post about naming new patterns brings the question up again. In my opinion a truly new pattern is a rare occurance. It's been my finding that most "new" patterns are just variations of already existing patterns that some one has renamed. I'm curious as to what everyone else's view on this subject is.

I agree, there has been numerous patterns that are out there that are just tweaked out versions of another persons pattern, that someone else has tweaked from another and so on and so on.

I think that an original pattern would not come from the materials it was made, from but the technique used to make the fly.

I agree. I figure it is a pretty open market for naming and claiming as long as nobody is really infringing on someone else too much. If I do a play on a pattern, for example putting a glass bead body on a muddler I would use muddler or sculpin in the name just so people know I am not trying to claim a whole new pattern.

I don't know what the official definition of a new fly is, but I think the little cartoon on a hook that I tied for the beaded fly swap is original. Yes, bunny strip minnows have been done, epoxy minnows have been done, but I've never seen any that use the method I came up with. Remember, I have a hard-headed habit of doing it the hard way. I just wish the usps was faster getting the flies to you.

It may sadden most of us to realise that there are few if any new patterns to tie. The most that any of us can hope for and very few of us can actually achieve is to refine a pattern and hone it to the point that a good pattern becomes a great pattern. Having said this there has never before been a better time to achieve this with the vast armoury of materials available to us today. Materials that our grandfathers had no access to and they had to make do with what they could shoot or trap. Game fish eat from a relatively finite menu of bug life. It has all been done by somebody else at some point before. On a more positive note and certainly thankfully for the likes of myself, the fish don't seem to care. I for one hope that they don't.

Regards

Geoff

I don't know what the official definition of a new fly is, but I think the little cartoon on a hook that I tied for the beaded fly swap is original. Yes, bunny strip minnows have been done, epoxy minnows have been done, but I've never seen any that use the method I came up with. Remember, I have a hard-headed habit of doing it the hard way. I just wish the usps was faster getting the flies to you.

I can say that the fly that flyangler refers to is very unique, almost novelity if you will. I must say I have never seen anything quite like it but I'm sure it will take a fish or two.