Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone Used Rio Versitip Line?

I have been looking at RIo's Versitip line and comparing the pros and cons versus carrying a spare spool with a dedicated sink tip. I am interested in any observations/opinions. Especially re durability, loop-toloop connections, ability to turn over monster streamers, etc.

I should point out that this is not for the Bow, where I use floating line. My home water has very deep pools separated by long stretches of largely barren water (especially in the colder months). I was thinking a dedicated type 6 sink tip might be a bit restrictive.

Thanks for the feedback.

Paul

I have a Versitip..... and hate it, i have probably only used it 20 times but I couldn't get over the loop to loop connection, it always seamed that the loop is always with in the guides, it doesn't want to strip or shoot well because of this, especially from a drift boat. I understand the benefit to the versatip but compared to the quality of the Rio Streamertip it's a world of difference...

I also have found when you try to roll cast anything heavy the line collapses at the loops. For Durability and quality of the product, the versatip is on par with Rio's premium lines.

That said the Versatip is fine for lake usage.

Totally disagree with the idea that a VersiTip is junk for rivers, but fine for lakes. Actually, I don't think the VersiTip is very good for lakes at all, but can be great on rivers, depending on the user. How old is your VersiTip, jayhad? They get better every year.

Troutscape, I'd say if you're a bit rough and tumble, and your only real priority is catching fish, you might really enjoy the versatility. However, if you're finicky by nature, and obsessed with your casting like me (and possibly jayhad), it'll drive you nuts.

Totally disagree with the idea that a VersiTip is junk for rivers, but fine for lakes. Actually, I don't think the VersiTip is very good for lakes at all, but can be great on rivers, depending on the user. How old is your VersiTip, jayhad? They get better every year.

I never said it was junk for rivers, I know many anglers on the left coast that use the Versa-tips for rivers.... it's just not for me, my dad love the Versatip. As for age, I have used last years' and one from 2009.

However, if you're finicky by nature, and obsessed with your casting like me (and possibly jayhad), it'll drive you nuts.

Agreed, I find the Versatip is like many things that try to replicate many specific products in one package, it does all things adequately but not one thing perfectly.

I have it on my 8wt rod that I use for Salmon and Bulls. It's not perfect but it works pretty

good. Turns over flys way better than a floating line and sink tip. The loop to loop

conection takes a little getting used to but it's ok. Nice not having 6 different spools.

Still need some T14 on hand for fishing the Fraser but usually the tips are all I need

for everywhere else.

Thanks for the info guys.

I will admit to being a fussy perfectionist. I hate those all-in-one tools that do everything poorly and nothing well. I thought it might come is handy for changing water depths and speeds, but mending, changing sink time and retrieve rate with a type 6 sink-tip might be the btter choice.

I try to avoid loop-to-loop connections, at least when fishing dries, even though it takes me 10-15 dmn minutes to tie a decent nail knot.

Paul

Just bought one this year for my 8 wt. love it on lakes, like it on big rivers. My only complaint is the loop to loop gets caught in my line guides, but saves huge $ on lines an spools. Found it casts almost as well as most sink tips. Great for unknown waters where you're not sure what gear you need on your pontoon.