Fly Fusion Forums

Missing Hook-ups

Hawgstoppah

Ok so I went out with Greg and he gave me his spey rod for the day. I think I developed a pretty good idea of the basics of the 45 degree and down cast, and was laying all the running line out, quietly and cleanly, by the end of the day. I did miss 14 takes today, and I'm curious to know if I was doing something wrong...

Most takes were a very quick tap, tap - gone. Not even a chance to set up on the fish, never once did any of them take my strike loop (I think that's what the 1 foot of slack line in my hands to cushion the takes is called). All takes on a tight line during the swing, or as it slowed down below my feet.

So, any suggestions? Did I do good just to get the hits, or am I blowing my hits somehow? Any advice is appreciated.

Still haven't landed my first on the spey, and the next time I fish spey will be for chrome!! :lol:

Is this question regarding steel or rainbows....If its steel the takes at the very end or the "dangle" are usually light and you usually lose them on that hook up as they short the hit....If its in the swing 90% of the time they turn on it from bank towards river..no question on that take as your line stops dead and your rod pretty much gets yanked out from your hand... this hook up is evident as your fly will be in the fish's righ side of its mouth... I don't have a strike loop as I like to be in full control of my drift all the way through the swing and set the hook with no slack at all..But again if its in the swing the fish pretty much sets the hook itself as its a violent take..you just hang on for the ride.

Ok so I went out with Greg and he gave me his spey rod for the day. I think I developed a pretty good idea of the basics of the 45 degree and down cast, and was laying all the running line out, quietly and cleanly, by the end of the day. I did miss 14 takes today, and I'm curious to know if I was doing something wrong...

Most takes were a very quick tap, tap - gone. Not even a chance to set up on the fish, never once did any of them take my strike loop (I think that's what the 1 foot of slack line in my hands to cushion the takes is called). All takes on a tight line during the swing, or as it slowed down below my feet.

So, any suggestions? Did I do good just to get the hits, or am I blowing my hits somehow? Any advice is appreciated.

Still haven't landed my first on the spey, and the next time I fish spey will be for chrome!! :lol:

I'm no expert but when I was out this last week I had a similar experience although fewer hits. The one I did land was on the swing and it was totally unambiguous. The same was true when I was in BC a couple of weeks ago, the takes where I lost were soft, the one I landed was fierce grab, mid swing. I wonder if part of it given the length of line out that my touch is not as sensitive so I am not setting right where otherwise the current was helping set the hook.

-al