Fly Fusion Forums

Elk Hair Caddis - Qotsa

admin

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't that a Deer Hair Caddis?!

Super use of the rotary function. I now have a rotary vise but don't take advantage of it enough. Old habits die hard

Great video! You took a bit of time to produce that. Would love to see more video of tied flies on the Net, especially stuff that's a bit tricky -- spinning hair, for example.

Thanks

I like!

Also, it's a good example of how to use a whip finisher. Is there a way to cross post or tag things on you tube so that if you google or otherwise search "video of whip finish" this would come up? Countless noobs have asked how to use one and it just defies description until you see it.

On second thought you probably shouldn't google "video of whip finish" if you're at work. Nevermind!

Wasn't that a Deer Hair Caddis?!

Super use of the rotary function. I now have a rotary vise but don't take advantage of it enough. Old habits die hard

Great video! You took a bit of time to produce that. Would love to see more video of tied flies on the Net, especially stuff that's a bit tricky -- spinning hair, for example.

Nope, it is an Elk Hair Caddis - Same pattern as the Deer Hair, but tied with Elk.

Yes, it did take a bit of time - 3 hours or so I guess, but it got me familiar with the editor features somewhat. Go onto Youtube and do some searching. There are actually a couple good tutorials on spinning already posted. The rotary is a great feature to have, and sometime just seeing a new way to use it will help you kick an old habit.

Also, it's a good example of how to use a whip finisher. Is there a way to cross post or tag things on you tube so that if you google or otherwise search "video of whip finish" this would come up? Countless noobs have asked how to use one and it just defies description until you see it.

Thanks Sarah. I did up a series of videos a couple years back. There is a hand whip finish video as well as the Matarelli tool whip finish. http://copperfly.net/fly_tying_videos.php - That should help out the noobies. :)