Fly Fusion Forums

Manitoba, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, And Michigan

Heimdallr

Hey all,

I'm moving to Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario in a few weeks for grad school and I will be taking a couple of weeks to drive out and hopefully do some fishing along the way. This is the approximate route I am thinking of taking: http://goo.gl/maps/G6YF

I'm looking for any input you might have in fishing one or all of these places.

My first stop will be in the Manitoba Parkland. I have no experience fishing there and most of the reports I've seen have focused on spring or fall. I'll be going during August so if anyone has recommendations for lakes that still produce quite well during the heat of the summer I would really appreciate it. Looking for lakes with multiple species or large fish. The kinds of places that make that region more unique.

I will also be driving through North Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. If anyone can give me any recommendations regarding those states that would be super appreciated as well.

Thank you to anyone that can provide me any advice.

Cheers,

Cory

Hello,

I only fish streams, so I cannot provide much regarding lakes... Trout inland fishing seasons usually end at the end of September. Please, keep that in mind.

I believe you will not see any stream trout action until you hit Duluth in MN right before entering Wisconsin. I would suggest buying your fishing licenses online and getting the regulations ahead of time. They have some great maps. In addition, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) does a great job in providing online information and maps. Here are some useful links.

Minnesota: MN DNR

Wisconsin: Wisconsin Maps by County

Michigan: Michigan Trout Overview

I have not fished up north for a number of years (I live in Minneapolis), but there are some great midwestern streams in Wisconsin and the Upper Penninsula Michigan. That is going to be a heck of a trip. If you want trout, I would not spend any time anywhere until you hit Duluth.

Highly recommended that you get this book. It was quite controversial a few years back due to the "kiss and tell nature":

Trout Streams of Wisconsin and Minnesota

For Michigan, I cannot vouch completely for these two, but probably well worth getting, especially since you will cover so much of Michigan:

Flyfishers Guide to Michigan

Trout Streams of Michigan: A Fly-Angler's Guide

Spending $60 in books might be well worth it. There are a lot of streams.

Shoot me a PM once you have iron out your dates / trip and I will try to give you a few more tips. There is a fly shop in Superior (WI) and another one by the Brule River (WI) that might be beneficial to hit. Upper Peninsula is not that developed, so it is difficult to find good shops / info...

Good luck

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I only fish streams, so I cannot provide much regarding lakes... Trout inland fishing seasons usually end at the end of September. Please, keep that in mind.

I believe you will not see any stream trout action until you hit Duluth in MN right before entering Wisconsin. I would suggest buying your fishing licenses online and getting the regulations ahead of time. They have some great maps. In addition, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) does a great job in providing online information and maps. Here are some useful links.

Minnesota: MN DNR

Wisconsin: Wisconsin Maps by County

Michigan: Michigan Trout Overview

I have not fished up north for a number of years (I live in Minneapolis), but there are some great midwestern streams in Wisconsin and the Upper Penninsula Michigan. That is going to be a heck of a trip. If you want trout, I would not spend any time anywhere until you hit Duluth.

Highly recommended that you get this book. It was quite controversial a few years back due to the "kiss and tell nature":

Trout Streams of Wisconsin and Minnesota

For Michigan, I cannot vouch completely for these two, but probably well worth getting, especially since you will cover so much of Michigan:

Flyfishers Guide to Michigan

Trout Streams of Michigan: A Fly-Angler's Guide

Spending $60 in books might be well worth it. There are a lot of streams.

Shoot me a PM once you have iron out your dates / trip and I will try to give you a few more tips. There is a fly shop in Superior (WI) and another one by the Brule River (WI) that might be beneficial to hit. Upper Peninsula is not that developed, so it is difficult to find good shops / info...

Good luck

Alex

Thanks for the response, Alex. It helps a lot. I'll see if I can get me hands on some of those books.