Fly Fusion Forums

Droppers Under Big Bugs

scel

I have never had any success with droppers, mostly because I have not spend much time trying. It does seem, however, like a good combination of dry fishing and nymphing.

So, what size of dropper should be used? 14? 16? I assume that the size of the dropper will be linked to the size of the dry.

What size of tippet should be used to connect the dropper to the dry. My instinct is 4x or smaller. Smaller line will sink faster and will produce less drag during a float.

What length of tippet should be used? I have been using about 45 cm of tippet. Ideally, I figure that the length between the dry and the dropper should be configured for the depth of the water. Unlike an indicator that can be moved, the dropper is fixed, so it is important to make a good guess with the length of the attaching line.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION...

Is it even worthwhile using a dropper?

I have never had any success with droppers, mostly because I have not spend much time trying. It does seem, however, like a good combination of dry fishing and nymphing.

So, what size of dropper should be used? 14? 16? I assume that the size of the dropper will be linked to the size of the dry.

What size of tippet should be used to connect the dropper to the dry. My instinct is 4x or smaller. Smaller line will sink faster and will produce less drag during a float.

What length of tippet should be used? I have been using about 45 cm of tippet. Ideally, I figure that the length between the dry and the dropper should be configured for the depth of the water. Unlike an indicator that can be moved, the dropper is fixed, so it is important to make a good guess with the length of the attaching line.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION...

Is it even worthwhile using a dropper?

Yes to the last question! As for the rest, this website is pretty decent describing the different dropper styles: http://blog.riverwoodfliesonline.com/?p=1453