Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Casting Help

Guest Grinr

Guest Grinr

Hey all,any experienced Spey enthusiasts out there interested in spending an evening or cpl hrs Sunday helping a Spey newb get started on the right foot/demonstrate a cpl basic casts before I develop self taught bad habits from watching videos and saying to self,"I've seen it on u-tube and I'm pretty sure I can do it!"

FWIW,I've been flyfishing with single handers for 25 yrs and after sitting on the Spey fence for the last cpl years,recently bought a Spey rig here off the trading post.

Im not looking for your secret Bow R. hotspots nor even care if I catch fish,just learn a cpl basics?I'd be most interested in Scandi at this time(have Skagit head as well) in prep for upcoming east coast Atlantic salmon trip in a few weeks and hope to at least be proficient enough by then that I'm not tearing up the pool/putting fish down/pissing off the local single handers?In fact,I have a few Bow R stretches in mind that closely resemble my home pool on Miramichi but I'm open to meeting anywhere at your convenience.

Thx for lookin',Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Just saw your post. Not sure if it's too late, but I could try to help for a couple of hours Aug 18 or 19. Better option would be to sign up for Simon Gawesworth course the following weekend.

Thanks for the offer Salmo.I've had a cpl members here already PM me and graciously offer to take me out but unfortunately wasn't able to coordinate schedules before my trip east.(I'm in NB now)I did manage to get a half day on Bow prior to leaving CGY,self teaching,popped my Spey cherry with a few 16-18" bows on swung buggers,figured out a few things on my own,and in just a few hours managed to teach myself single spey and pretty much equal the distance(80-90ft give or take?)that I can shoot a fly with single hand rod,so I'm pretty confident that I can reach most any salmon lie that I need to,even with my limited speycasting abilities.(have a cpl single handers at my disposal as well.....just in case. ;) )Also have a cpl Spey enthusiast buds here in NB that I'm hoping to hook up with but the river conditions are dismal at the moment and not very encouraging forecast.....severe drought here since June,the Miramichi presently is for all intents and purposes closed to angling due to extreme low water/high water temps,salmon going belly up from heat stress.The cold water pools where they seek sanctuary are closed completely,while the rest of the watershed is restricted to angling between 5-10am only,which is a complete waste of time anyhow as there are certainly no fish moving in 75-80F water!!

......very disappointing..... :(

Praying for heavy rain before I head back west on 24th but again,forecast not looking good at all... :(

Probably gonna have to chase some big ol Stripers this week in a cpl Bay of Fundy river estuaries closer to home if I hope to put any kind of bend in this rod on this trip?

• 1 year later...