Fly Fusion Forums

Enforcement

I noticed in the Metro newspaper that over the long weekend there were 190 fines issued having to do with the fishing regulations. Including fishing without a licence and people in possesion over the limit. That sounds good to me, I wish that they had made a full page article with a big picture.

Just found that interesting as there is a lot of talk about enforcement on this forum.

Thanks

Greg

Keep checking the papers to see if you hear of anything for the rest of the summer that isn't just a one off or a road side check point, then follow up in the fall to see if officers have fuel to drive the trucks before hunting season's enforcement budgets open up. The PR is good but reality is what it is.

Guest NamasteMushroom
I noticed in the Metro newspaper that over the long weekend there were 190 fines issued having to do with the fishing regulations. Including fishing without a licence and people in possesion over the limit. That sounds good to me, I wish that they had made a full page article with a big picture.

Just found that interesting as there is a lot of talk about enforcement on this forum.

Thanks

Greg

I would speculate that a lot of these tickets/fines were given to people who fish maybe once a year; like on a long weekend etc.

I think a lot of the enforcement issues could be dealt with through education rather than stricter laws.

I also believe it is important to have more quality 'put and take' fisheries than more 'C & R' fisheries. The limits on reasonable retention create enforcement issues.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

more cibald ponds so fill the pots than bow browns would be nice to see. How about we open all the community lakes to them lol

Thanks

Greg

190 fines is in truth not much for a whole of alberta , i would also say that i bet it was 3 times that for warnings handed out , the CO's need to stop being so nice to those who play the dumb game , '' oh i'm so sorry i didn't know bullshit ''

they need to really make the fines high to stop the poachers , word travels like wild fire if someone was dinged a grand for keeping a big brown from the bow or any good fish for that matter from any river or lake ,

I would speculate that a lot of these tickets/fines were given to people who fish maybe once a year; like on a long weekend etc.

I think a lot of the enforcement issues could be dealt with through education rather than stricter laws.

I also believe it is important to have more quality 'put and take' fisheries than more 'C & R' fisheries. The limits on reasonable retention create enforcement issues.

Something that I've noticed in other popular fishing locations in Alberta and BC is

signs listing the basic regulations at main access points/boat launches. Why don't

they have any of that on the Bow? They need to get the word out and stop the

"I didn't know" excuse.

I don't think that you can use 'quality' and 'put and take' in the same sentence. Most of these

lakes are 'meated' out in the first 3 weeks after stocking it. I think there are plenty of

these fisheries now & they just need to increase enforcement and be harder on these

people. If they need more money for enforcement of the Bow then put in a classified

waters regulation like on the Elk. Seems to work there as I get checked every second

time I fish there.

Guest NamasteMushroom
more cibald ponds so fill the pots than bow browns would be nice to see. How about we open all the community lakes to them lol

It would be nice to see more Sibbald type ponds with larger fish stocked annually. It would deter people from poaching, and when someone who wants to catch dinner; they would be able to catch something that could feed more than one or two people.

The problem with fishing in this province, and sport fishing in general is it is disconnected from what it really is. Fishing for 'sport' is a relatively new concept, and the philosophy is debatable (regarding the ethics of a game that is based on the entertainment of the fisherman at the expense /or action of harassing wildlife). If you have are travelled to any foreign remote locations and talked to some locals you would see some strange looks regarding the action of sport fishing (they give this look of disbelief that you would let a fish go). Even in much of Europe, fishing for 'sport' is rarely practiced. I have heard the argument many times that C & R is always better because a fish released is ultimately better than a dead fish.....but before anyone goes there - I'm looking at it from a more broad perspective, and questioning the ethical philosophy of the 'sport'.

Fishing for food on the other hand is older than civilization. It seems odd that fisheries should be managed to discontinue or discourage this oldest of human behaviors. Even economically speaking, more quality put and take fisheries, a tag system similar to hunting (for fish), more hatcheries (job creation), a campaign of education regarding renewable resources (such as proper fish handling techniques.....and limiting one's impact on the resource i.e. excessive C & R fishing) would be in the best interest of all parties involved (including the fish).

I would speculate that a lot of the warnings given this past long weekend were to 'once a year' anglers. These anglers, whether it was fishing with barbed hooks or sans license probably for the most part hadn't a clue what they were doing (anyone who has fished with 'once a year' anglers would know this). Don't get me wrong though, there were probably some fish killed illegally no doubt, but considering the time of year and conditions on most rivers last weekend, my guess is the impact was minimal.

The worst way to tackle problems is with draconian measures and exclusion. Huge fines, tougher laws and sentences (save the death penalty- but last I heard Harper and gang haven't gone that far yet) and further limitations will not solve enforcement of poaching problems in the province; education and the creation of manageable high quality fisheries for all types of fisherman will.

Guest NamasteMushroom
I don't think that you can use 'quality' and 'put and take' in the same sentence.

I disagree, most of the private lakes in Calgary are high quality. I was on Lower and Upper K last week and I saw some huge 'keepers' ( i would like to emphisize 'saw'...not caught :( )

In BC, what about the Vedder River (yes, different animal, but for the sake of argument)?

I disagree, most of the private lakes in Calgary are high quality. I was on Lower and Upper K last week and I saw some huge 'keepers' ( i would like to emphisize 'saw'...not caught :( )

In BC, what about the Vedder River (yes, different animal, but for the sake of argument)?

So Upper and Lower K just became 'Quality' fisheries this year so it sounds like allowing 1 fish

over 50cm's would fulfill your definition of a 'put and take' fishery? Sounds good to me so yes

we do need more of these lakes and less of the 5 trout any size (8"-12") lakes!

Easier said than done though, takes years to change them then when they just start getting

good they threaten to change them back (ie. Police Outpost).

Thats why more and more I find myself going to BC.

Why does everyone always say more education not enforcement. Any one over the age of 16 is required to have a lic. and should already possess the education to READ the regs that EVERYONE knows exist. Fines are the way to go people know what they are doing they just don't care, but they sure seem to when you kick em in the wallet.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

im with you Mikey and Dutchie. Nail those F'ers to the cross who poach and break the rules. There is rags all over the stores where they buy fishing gear so no excuse is acceptable in my opinion, We dont get an excuse when we drink and drive or speed.

Why does everyone always say more education not enforcement. Any one over the age of 16 is required to have a lic. and should already possess the education to READ the regs that EVERYONE knows exist. Fines are the way to go people know what they are doing they just don't care, but they sure seem to when you kick em in the wallet.

bigger fines would stop allot of it , take all there gear , if they have a car or truck , take it also , auction them off and it would stop overnight , pussy footing around and it will carry on like it is now ,

anyone over 16 knows the rules , and if they don't , that's plain being dumb , then they deserve a fine for just being that dumb , time for no more excuses ,