Fly Fusion Forums

Stripped Hackle Buzzer

albannachxcuileag

This is a basic stripped hackle stalk buzzer, the good thing about then is that you can use almost any longish hackle feather that you have lying around. This is in Olive as it is one of the colours that I prefer for buzzers of this type so go grab that 5 quid cape and we will get started.

Apologies again to the left handed tyers as it is a right handed jobby again, if I had been ambidextrous then things could have been more interesting!

Materials -

Hooks - from size 18 to 12s Kamasan B100s

Thread - UTC 140 Olive

Hackle - in this case - Olive bugger piece - the muckle big ones that were no good for anything but lures

Wingcase - Cock Pheasant Tail Fibres

Thorax - Hot Olive Seals Fur

DSCN0964.jpg

Run your thread down the hook of choice into the bend, on smaller sizes allow the thread to flatten out and reduce bulking

DSCN0951.jpg

Cut your hackle stalk at the appropriate thickness - experience will make this easier

DSCN0952.jpg

Tie in the hackle stalk at the bend and return the thread to the thorax area in tight touching turns

DSCN0953.jpg

Wind your hackle stalk in touching turns to the thorax area and tie in with a couple of turns before cutting off the excess

DSCN0954.jpg

Catch in your pheasant tail fibres and secure with a couple of turns. I use about 7 or 8 for a size 12 and reduce this to about 4 or 5 for a size 16

DSCN0955.jpg

Dub on your seals fur to form a thin rope, wax the thread beforehand on the larger sizes of hook. If you find that your rope is too long and going to bulk the thorax just pull the excess from the thread and keep for the next one

DSCN0956.jpg

Part 2

Form the thorax and leave a little space behind the hook eye

DSCN0957.jpg

Gently pull the pheasant tail fibres forwards and secure with a couple of turns of thread

DSCN0958.jpg

Trim of the excess length and whip finish before varnishing. To reduce bulk try whipping 3 turns followed by a fresh whipping of 3 more

DSCN0959.jpg

As a good rule, practice the rule of 6, tie 6 in each size before progressing to another fly, this gives you good practice

DSCN0965.jpg

Another good rule is to tie up in several sizes as I did here

DSCN0978.jpg