Fly Fusion Forums

Question About Smaller Streams And This Time Of Year

wheels

Although sitting next to birchy has some advantages when it comes to questions about fishing, he apparently doesn't know everything, so here goes.

Throughout the summer I spent a good portion of time fishing in a smaller stream south of the city and had plenty of success, particularly with dry flies. I fished many sections of the stream, but never got a chance to make my way that far upstream toward the head-waters. I am wondering if this time of year has any effect on where the fish would be in a smaller stream. Do they normally head downstream as the weather cools down, or would I still have a chance of catching a couple if I headed quite a ways upstream toward the head-waters?

Guest bigbadbrent

they'll still be upstream, except with the lower water and colder temperatures, they're moving (if not already in) to their wintering holes. Depending the river, winter holes are on average 1-2 km of river apart..so lots of walking..however, if you do find it, you'll have a great day if the feedbags are on

hey dude the only bugs u got emergin on teh cutty streams ide imagine would eb small mayflies maybe stones and midges....nymphing and smaller streamers will outproduce the dry but if there feedin like brent siad u can have soem good dryfly all teh way till october....bring the snowflake patterns too ;)

Well, I went to my favorite stream on Monday and headed quite a ways upstream toward the headwaters. Scenery was amazing and the weather co-operated. Quite a few nice-looking holes but not too many fish. I did manage to land four smaller rainbows, three on an adams and one on the worm. I also had a 14+ incher take a hit of one of my home-made yellow hackle dry flies. Wasn't quite sure if anything would go after a yellow dry fly, but I guess now I know. At 14+ inches, that trout must be one of the largest in that little creek, but after I missed the hook set on his first strike, no way I could coax him into another hit. I can't wait to hit this stream again in the summer. Just thought I'd let you guys know how I made out.