Fly Fusion Forums

Mow Tips With Other Brands???

Ulmo

noob question here guys, anybody using/used Rio's Mow tips with SA, Airflo or other makers heads, skagit in particular??? will i anger the spey gods by mixing things up? more importantly - would it work???...

noob question here guys, anybody using/used Rio's Mow tips with SA, Airflo or other makers heads, skagit in particular??? will i anger the spey gods by mixing things up? more importantly - would it work???...

Yes, you can use a MOW tip in conjunction with heads manufactured by brands other than RIO. MOW is simply a series of sink tips available in differing densities(just like any other sink tip) but with different lengths of level floating line integrated so that if you want a shorter tip (example a 7.5 ft tip) there will be 4.5ft of level floating line integrated so that all the tips equal 12 ft in length. This makes it easier to cast a short tip without blowing your anchor or having some of the "hinging" effects and additional knots and loops associated with adding on cheaters. Essentially it is just a sink tip with fancy loops built in. They do work great, just a bit on the pricey side.

thanks man, its the grain weight of your head that would be the focal point, eh? start there and match your running line and tips to match i guess, really no reason a guy couldnt have SA running line, an Airflo Skagit and Rio mow tips - of course, that may b following the rabbit hole a little deep...