Fly Fusion Forums

Night!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

So i have pulled in the 3 big "B"s at night (bulls, browns, bows) but what about salt water fish? Do the come out at night? troll the shores? hunt at the piers?

and while im at it has any one pulled cutties at night? or make a point of hitting them at night? (river or lake)

Thanks

Jeremy

Guest JBear

Im in florida right now. The fishing is super slow, but so far the only fish we've manage to hook into have been smaller snook at night around the piers. I know that tarpon get really active around sunset-dark.

Saltwater fishing at night can be fantastic. I used to fish full moons (flats fish feed heavily in full moons) and new moons, often with great success. It is also very, very eerie to wade fish in saltwater at night. Sharks, stingrays......... makes a fella nervous.

Guest Grinr

Striped bass fishing in the salt and/or estuaries can be really good at night.Timing of the tide is more important than what time of day or night it happens.

It's worthwhile, but I wouldn't say more worthwhile, unless you are fishing during a full moon. Full moons can really change daylight fishing. Fish can and do feed hard at night on full moons, which can make the mornings fish pretty tough. Tends to get better later in the evening. When I'm planning a trip specifically for fishing, I avoid full moons and look for days with significant tide movement. On the gulf coast the tides are nothing like the tides further north. I look for 4 tide days to assure I get movement for most of the day. But I'm talking pretty specifically about flats/inshore fishing on the gulf coast. I assume it's the same in a lot of places, but my knowledge base is pretty location specific as I haven't fished salt water in many other places.

Guest Grinr
I would fly fish the Saint John River in New Brunswick at 0400- 0730 before going to work,and get lots of Strippers, Hybrid Strippers and White bass, the odd big pike, small and largemouth bass, much more action then in the day time...

The best night stripper action in Saint John is at Blush on Sydney St. ;)

Full moons can really change daylight fishing. Fish can and do feed hard at night on full moons, which can make the mornings fish pretty tough. Tends to get better later in the evening.

Through my observations I find this to be true on the Bow as well.