Fly Fusion Forums

Whitefish In The Bow...oh Where Do They Go?

I have only been fishing the Bow for a year. However, during the summer and fall, I did not catch a single whitefish. Now, in the winter, they are usually the main catch. I am using the same techniques and the same flies. So this means 2 things: either they do not eat the same thing in the summer, which probably not true, because I catch whites using the same flies in the Red Deer Basin, OR the whites migrate to someplace other than the Lower Bow in the summer.

Any ideas?

Guest NamasteMushroom
I have only been fishing the Bow for a year. However, during the summer and fall, I did not catch a single whitefish. Now, in the winter, they are usually the main catch. I am using the same techniques and the same flies. So this means 2 things: either they do not eat the same thing in the summer, which probably not true, because I catch whites using the same flies in the Red Deer Basin, OR the whites migrate to someplace other than the Lower Bow in the summer.

Any ideas?

They love highly oxygenated water. In the summer because of higher water temps they hang out in deep cold runs, or very turbulent rifles (places that are typically tough to put flies through). When boat anglers nymph from the boat (not the coolest way to fish IMHO but whatever), they'll pick them up often in the summer from the deeper fast water in the center of the river.

I'm sure you already know...they love small red worms.