Fly Fusion Forums

Need A Jedi Master

Hey guys just got my self a 6 wt new to the fly fishin game and looking for a Jedi master to show a young padawan the ropes. I don't know anything about fly fishin but what I don't know I make up for in ambition an drive to catch fish I hve vowed to myself to put my spin aster down and nothing but flyfishing for this guy now. If anyone's interested on chucking some flies with me drop me a line I work out of town but home every weekend and try and get out at least once a week. Looking forward to meeting some new people.

Just an FYI. If it's within your budget, consider hiring a professional (two guides that are sponsors of this board currently have spring specials)... If you are new to the "game" then a half or full day session with a guide will be the best thing you could do (that way you don't pick up bad habits from any of us. LoL!). Trust me it will be money well spent and will save hour hours (even days/weeks) of frustration!!

P

Ya man I hear ya I got 2 kids and only 2 days off so craming in fam time and a weekend course would be kinda hard but I have did some research on some classes and if I can talk the wife into letting me spend the money on a class I will fissurly do it but in the mean time just looking for someone to even fish with more so than a teacher.

Guest ArtVandelay
Ya man I hear ya I got 2 kids and only 2 days off so craming in fam time and a weekend course would be kinda hard but I have did some research on some classes and if I can talk the wife into letting me spend the money on a class I will fissurly do it but in the mean time just looking for someone to even fish with more so than a teacher.

I echo Peter's advice here a thousand times over. When I first started nearly five years ago, I hired Maxwell here for a half day walk and wade. That day he taught me how to nymph without an indicator and he also showed me a sweet little roll cast. To this day I use both techniques every day I'm out and I've had decent success because of this. Thousands of dollars later it's still the best money I've spent on fly fishing. If you don't have friends or family that can show you the ropes, it flattens the learning curve considerably.

I hear ya about the time and financial constraints though.