Fly Fusion Forums

No Habitat, No Fish: Gov't Plans For Elimination Of Wildlife Protection

I keep seeing this story and surpirsed I didn't see any discussion on the board yet so I thought I'd share some links to spread the word.

"No Habitat, No Fish: Harper Plans for Elimination of Wildlife Protection "

http://www.pacificfreepress.com/news/1/111...protection.html

"Fisheries Act plan draws more heat from right; Removing reference to habitat protection would be 'very serious error,' former Tory minister says"

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Fisheries...5147/story.html

"Canadians don't care about fish habitat" - that's pretty much what Minister Hatfield said .. read his statement here

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/statement-d...0120316-eng.htm

This topic has received very little coverage in the Calgary media. We think it’s an important issue deserving of more attention. We hope you agree.

Otto Langer, a retired federal fisheries biologist, released two weeks ago a leaked internal information spelling out planned changes to the Fisheries Act.

A section that went into force in 1986, prohibiting any activities that could harm fish habitat, would be replaced by a ban on anything causing an "adverse effect" on "fish of economic, cultural or ecological value."

For more information, and to take action, please click here.

Guest NamasteMushroom

I think a lot of Albertan's care about this issue. Problem is, a lot of buffoons in this province voted the Conservatives in based on their actions with these types of issues. The changes to the Fisheries Act will streamline processes for resource extraction. If you are in the oil and gas industry, or forestry; this is good news. If you are a fisheman, but more importanly a fish; be scared.

I think a lot of anglers are genuinely concerned about this, but others are not. And anyone who has been around the block in this community knows all about NIMBYism - and misinformaton.

I don't think in reality this is good for anyone, including industry types. A obvious key component to "fish habitat" is fresh water which is becoming scarce/overallocated/degraded. Taking protection of "fish habitat" away will result in degredation of water quality in Canada, among a multitude of other direct and indirect effects on plants, animals, abiotic processes...Water is a necessity of life, no matter how you make your living. If you think fish and/or water are important sign the petition below.

fisheries act petition

Hmmm, link function doesn't work? Here is the address:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/124/389/037...-fisheries-act/

Guest NamasteMushroom
I don't think in reality this is good for anyone, including industry types.

No doubt, in the big picture it is bad for everyone, however, you are I both know it's great for cutting red tape and lowering environmental standards for resource extraction.

The ultimate goal of this Act is to reduce corporate expenses and increase their bottom line. Like any issue that attacks the common good - look at who stands to gain instead of who stands to lose; there is where you will find the culprit.

Our government has a great track record for ignoring science and sustainability. Unfortunately, most voters in this province have only themselves to blame. This is what happens when you vote for the benefit of your wallet.

It’s really bizarre; as a society (in general) we value digital numbers and paper with people’s faces on it more than the life sustaining forces of our planet.