Fly Fusion Forums

Bone Fishing

Gil

I'm considering heading somewhere warm in March and would like to try bone fishing which I've never done before. My problem is that I'll also be taking my wife so I have to worry about other forms of entertainment e.g. Shopping etc. for her. Any suggestions as to locations? Is a 7 weight recommended?

I tried fishing for bones in Aruba. Not that Aruba is the bonefish capital of the carribbean, just that's where we vacationed so I brought along the rod. Though you can catch some there, I would opt for someplace different. Seychelles perhaps. I'm going to Maui next month, and that's not suppose to be much good for bones either.

I did a bit of research prior to the trip and most people say between 7-9 weight rods. I split the middle and got an #8, which also doubles as my pike rod.

Going through security at the airport, they opened up my travel rod case and inspected it, I was nervous it may be confiscated or even relegated to be checked baggage, which I likely wouldn't see it again if it was. They allowed me on plane with it and stored it in the overhead compartment. No other issues on the trip with the rod.

Let us know how you make out.

Just got back from Cancun, and had a great trip with Aquarius Flats Fishing targeting permit and baby tarpon at Isla Blanca. Not a lot of bones there, but they also offer great bonefishing through Aquarius in Cozumel. If you go a little further south and stay near Playa del Carmen, you can also hit Ascension Bay which will be good for bones. Plenty of shopping and things to do in either Cancun or Playa. For Ascension Bay, I'd stay away from Pesca Maya, I've heard some people have good experiences with them, but myself and plenty of others have not.

Mexican bonefish aren't very big, though you'll be far better off with a saltwater specific 8wt rod so that you can punch your casts through the ever present wind. If you're only bringing one rod an 8 wt would also give you a better shot at small permit and baby tarpon. Think sage xi2/xi3, Loomis NRX, Scott S4s, TFO BVK. See the link for some great, fairly unbiased info:

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/8weightsh...ite.SageXi3.asp

I've never had any problems with standard 9', 4-piece rods in checked baggage.

Lookup Carlos Vega, of Aquarius Flats Fishing he runs the best operation I've used in Mexico. He's organized, on time, delivers what he promises, honest, has great guides, and very informative as to what gear you'll need. There's also lots of good info at some of our local shops: Country Pleasures, Bow River Troutfitters, Fish Tales, West Winds.

Send me a pm if you want more info.

Not trying to start a p!ssing match but I just did a days fishing with Pesca Maya on the 23 of december.

I have never had people work so hard to get me shots at fish, even when i thought the day was over we hit another 6 spots looking for more.

If i had done my part I would have landed a lot more fish.

It was a great experience and I know I will certainly book with them again next time I am in the Mayan.

Definitely work on your casting, that was my biggest down fall the fish always seemed just out of range, or the presentation wasnt the best.

Not a bad word to say about that outfit.

Isaias was my guide for the day.

I'm genuinely glad to hear you had a great trip with them. In my mind, part of being a good guiding operation means delivering a good experience all the time, not just some of the time...and I don't just mean in numbers or size of fish.

I agree with you on the casting practice. Wind and spooky fish will demand some of your best casts, especially if you have a shot at permit, those guys are spooky.

If you've not fished for bones before, Belize is a good bet.......Plenty of fish, although smaller, but easy to catch.......Depending on where you go there is stuff for the family---snorkelling, sight seeing, etc.......Have been in San Pedro on Ambergris Cay in Belize a number of times and would recommend it for a family vacation with some bonefishing thrown in........

If you're more experienced try Oahu..........Lots for familys and getting to be a fairly renowned bone fishery..........See this: www.hawaiibonefishing.com

• 3 weeks later...

Went to visit my folks in Florida in nov. 2010, they live in Naples which is great fishing for tarpon, snook and redfish. The girlfriend and I took a trip to the Keys to look for bones. We were on DIY style trip which is ironic as I am a fishing guide but in general too poor to hire a guide!

Anyhow we fished and camped in the Islamorada area for a couple days, the place is famous and hence the fish are spooky as all get out.

Believe it or not i had a couple shots at bones that day on the oceanside flats along the highway, I blew it big time! You are standing there and scanning the water for fish for hours and all of a sudden the fish are there and you so much as flinch and they scatter instantaneously!

It is a beautiful area, I will return but will def book a guide this time around?

Anyone else fish the Keys?