Fly Fusion Forums

Steel Is Going To Be More Expensive Next Year

i may have jumped the gun it appears that Definition of a Resident may be all canadians.....

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/skeena/qws/skeena...recommendations

I'd still like to figure out how to raise the prices of the fishing the Bow

5.1 A Note Regarding Resident‐Only Times and Zones

A number of recommendations were put forward for resident‐only times and zones (Appendix A). These recommendations were intended to provide access for BC resident anglers and restrict non‐guided, non‐resident Canadian and non‐guided non‐resident alien anglers at specific time and zones.

In December 2009, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) reviewed the final Working Group recommendations and responded to the ministry with feedback. DFO identified that the resident‐only times and zones overlapped salmon fisheries on a number of rivers. DFO indicated that it was their mandate to provide equal access for all Canadians to recreational salmon fisheries, rather than for BC residents only.

Recognizing the overlap between salmon and steelhead fisheries, and acknowledging DFOs mandate, the ministry endorses the concept of resident‐only times and zones, and supports Canada’s proposal that such regulations allow access for both BC residents and non‐resident Canadians and restrict non‐resident alien anglers.

Based on this, all references to resident‐only times and zones within this document will herein include BC resident anglers and non‐resident Canadian anglers. The rationale supporting the Working Group’s recommendations for resident‐only times and zones are presented in the following sections.

The ministry recognizes that resident‐only angling regulations are not currently used to manage anglers in British Columbia. It will be important to monitor the use i.e. angler effort and effectiveness of resident‐only times and zones for all rivers. Following implementation, monitoring will be conducted to determine the overall effectiveness of Angling Management Plans, including resident‐only times and zones.

Did you raise that issue at the Fisheries Round Table this past weekend?

No I didn't, and now you are going to lead me into highjacking my own thread........ I was in BC and my trip had been planned once I found out about the round table date. That being said I think redistribution of license fees from general revenue to SRD or a body that could adequately handle the funds will not come from Round Table meetings but from pressuring the governing body. This has it's own set off issues, I think the major reason we have little respect for the Bow is that less than 5% of our cities population knows that it is a world class fishery, if we can somehow get more public buy in we will get more presure on the govt.

Now back to Steel, your thoughts on the SMP

As Canadian residents, its really a non event for as as far fees go, but it will certainly free up spots on the weekends as access is limited unless you're floating or have a boat. Not sure how the locals or NRA's are going to react, so I guess we'll wait and see. My only wish would have been for a better Classified Water Tag system that would allow moving around and being able to buy more than a daily tag.

Mike