Fly Fusion Forums

Thinking Of Getting Into Spey

fishpro

Sorry if this has already been discussed a bunch, but I'm looking for some info on spey fishing as I would like to make a trip to northern BC to target both steelhead and salmon. What all should I be considering in making a purchase? I'm guessing a 9 or 10 weight would be best for this, does the length matter? What difference is there between a 13 foot rod and a 15 foot rod? Would I be safe to simply purchase a reel that balances and a line in the grain window for the rod, or should I be testing some reels and lines before buying? Thank you in advance!

Rod weight is going to vary depending on what you're casting and how you are fishing (dry vs. tossing a small chicken), and the length can depend on the size of the river you're fishing. Try everything before buying, but take lessons first to find out the rod action and style that you'll want to cast. No point in buying a $1,000 setup just to find out it doesn't suit you.

13 foot 9 wt or somewere around there should have you covered for steel, chinooks, chum and coho kinda deal if you loooking for a happy medium for all of that ish kinda thing...

i like short rods dont own anything past 13' 6" most are 12 i find em a little easier to use on smaller rivers overhanging brush and things like that and a little easier too toss scandi and skagit lines. but i got buddies who fish 13-15 foot rods on alot of the same rivers. my favotire rod this year has bin a 11'6" 9wt spey on small or large rivers still can push big flies and toss long bombs but handles really well in tight places and such...

Unless your targeting Chinook, an 8wt double hander in around 12' 6" is probably your best bang for buck. A 7wt is nice for skating dries, but that time frame and opportunity is generally rather limited. Spend lots of time trying out different setups and figuring out what action of rod, and style of casting you prefer before you buy. I have a good selection of 7 - 9 weight rod/reel/line combos if you want to give them a shot, probably hitting the water this weekend.

If you're heading to Northern BC, pretty good chance you'll be throwing a skagit and tips which is also probably the easiest to learn on and a good match for the shorter rods. Skagits are pretty meaty and may affect your choice of reel as you need to allow for the extra line capacity. Choice of reels is very wide with traditional and pricy click pawl Hardy Perfects to nicely priced Echo Ion's.

Lessons are also a good idea, and so are videos. The RIO Modern Speycasting series, Art of Spey Casting, as well as Introduction to Spey Casting with John & Amy Hazel, and Skagit Master 1 are great videos. Also lot's of stuff on YouTube, as well as a few local guys that you might be able to hit up for lessons. Make sure to get proficient in a few casts that will allow you to fish either side of the river with upsteam or downstream winds. And don't get frustrated if you're not a master caster before you head out. You don't need to cast like Scott Mackenzie or Simon Gawesworth to catch fish, I'm proof of that.

Thank you to all of you for your input! It's definitely something I want to get into at some point, and it seems very clear that I should be trying out a lot of stuff before actually purchasing a set up.

Also thank you to KnotLikely for the offer to try test some rods, but I'm actually living in Ontario now.

Although I realize it's best to take lessons first, how bad of an idea would it be simply pick up a combo? I'm asking since I may have a chance to pick one up at a really affordable price sometime soon. I realize I should test it out with various lines before buying a line, but for finding a rod for skagit style would I be alright by getting something that isn't overly fast as well as a reel to balance it and then learn from there?

You should check out the fish tales spey-o-rama posting in the sponors thread. There would be a lot of people to give you opinions and they may even let you try out a rod or two:)

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I'm in Ontario at the moment. Otherwise I would definitely go to it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I'm in Ontario at the moment. Otherwise I would definitely go to it.

Picking up a box store combo is not a good idea..unless you are wealhy or know completely what you want...did you get to the Grand River Spey(Paris, Ontario) gathering last week? Where approx in Ontario are you..? There are a few good budding spey casters out that way that could help..

send me a PM if you are interested

C