Fly Fusion Forums

Fractured My Arm

Sorry to bring this up on a fly fish forum. I fractured my radius bone in my forearm near the head (elbow joint) mountain biking. Its a clean fracture and didn't need a cast and the pain has died down quite a bit. This was 10 days ago. I can use my arm easily now, however twisting still hurts a bit. I tried swinging my rod, it just won't happen. However my light spin & cast rod feels fine, though I haven't used it in 3 years.

Now I have a trip up the FTR planned (going to fish the Rams, Peppers lake, Clearwater, NSR), and seeing how cold it is I think spin & casting might actually not be the worst idea. What kind of tackle should I get? I'm thinking some tiny panther martins swapping to a single hook. What colorations? Then for nymphs I can hook up a little thingamabobber and still cast it quite far. Any other ideas? I would love to be able to fly fish, but at this point I'll take some spin and casting over no fishing.

I hit a large rock with my front wheel and went over the bars with my bike still clipped in. Stuck out my arm, it locked and took all the damage. I got a bruise on my leg but that's it, so I am very lucky in that respect. I bought a few spinners but in the end I just didn't want to spin, so I casted flies all weekend. It was great exercise for my arm, really glad I did that.

Ended up going to the North Ram. Night was really cold. Tons of ATVs/dirtbikes. From the tracks it would seem that its free for all terrain, as they were on both sides of the river and on islands. Shame as its a really beautiful place.

As for the fishing, it really only picks up once you hike a ways down the river where the tracks end. We spotted fish all along the river and some of the smaller ones were rising still. However the vast majority of fish were in overwinter mode. Just sittin on the bottom of the river, I was wading right past them and they wouldn't move.

Sorry to hear about your arm.

You can nymph fish lakes very well with spinning rods and small bobbers and nymphs or leeches. My grandkids have all caught fish like this in Police and Lees Lakes.

You can use a clear or colored torpedo float in either rivers or lakes. I prefer setting the kids up with the round red and white bobbers in lakes. Yeah those bobbers. ;) They work just fine with flies below.

Good luck!

Clive

Sorry to hear about your arm.

You can nymph fish lakes very well with spinning rods and small bobbers and nymphs or leeches. My grandkids have all caught fish like this in Police and Lees Lakes.

You can use a clear or colored torpedo float in either rivers or lakes. I prefer setting the kids up with the round red and white bobbers in lakes. Yeah those bobbers. ;) They work just fine with flies below.

Good luck!

Clive

Yea i do the same for my wife.spin rod small nymphs and small indi.