Fly Fusion Forums

Trolling For A Trolling Motor

Need a bit of advice....

I'm looking into purchasing a transom trolling motor for my 14' aluminum V-hull boat. It's quite heavy with a treated plywood floor and some storage compartments. My dad and I tried to lift it off the trailer when we first got it and could barely budge it.

Have approximately $400+ to spend on it. I've been looking into the Minn Kota Traxxis 55lbs thrust motor with the digital maximizer (what a stupid name) but several of the reviews I've seen on it say that the composite mounting system sucks.

I like the other features of the Traxxis but the mounting system issues have me a bit worried. I also don't know enough about other manufacturers to know what other options there might be. Also, is 55lbs thrust overkill?? or will I be happy I went with it over 45lbs on a windy day. I'll be using it mostly on smaller bodies of water where it's electric only or puttzing around the lillies after the 20hp has whipped the surface of the lake to a froth. Oh, and lastly, is the digital maximizer worth it because the ones without it are quite a lot less $. Could use that extra $ to buy quite a lot of beer.

Cheers.

I run the 45lbs thrust on my 16.5 foot walleye boat for back trolling and have never had a problem with the mounting system. The digital maximizer is worth the extra money. It really does help in running a charge for quite a bit longer. I would say the 55lbs thrust would be a solid choice if you are going to use it as your main motor on the small electric only lakes. You don't have to run it at full speed but if you do need that extra power it is sure nice to have.

I run the 45lbs thrust on my 16.5 foot walleye boat for back trolling and have never had a problem with the mounting system. The digital maximizer is worth the extra money. It really does help in running a charge for quite a bit longer. I would say the 55lbs thrust would be a solid choice if you are going to use it as your main motor on the small electric only lakes. You don't have to run it at full speed but if you do need that extra power it is sure nice to have.

x2

Sorry to kinda hijack your thread I have a Electric Trolling Motor for sale it is Motor Guide Lazer 370ES/RF. it has seen a lake 3-4 times, in very good shape. I have a transom mount which it is attached to now & also a bow mount. It is remotely controlled which in other words it has a push button pad that can be used anywhere in the boat to steer & control speed. It has 41 lbs thrust which moved my 15' drift boat very well. $250.

Thanks

Bob