Fly Fusion Forums

Help?

I have not had very good luck on the bow the last few days, I have tried everything starting from SJW's, hairs ear,copper Johnny, and even a wolly bugger! I need help...what have you guys been catching the fish on?!? <--poke--<

sjw and stone and fishing great,maybe its just where your fishing.

theres fish in all parts of the river,what i meant was are you fishing where the fish are holding or feeding?.it doesent matter what flies you fish. if there are no fish holding where your casting you wont catch anything.they dont like to use too much energy when they are feeding.you have to fish the feeding or holding seam.

Maybe your leader is too short/long or your dragging bottom too much,or maybe your mending needs some help.

If your right handed fish from river right,cast upstream and out about 0-6' away from the bank let the indi float straight back at you.This keeps the drift drag free.Strip line as it floats back, roll cast it out to get it air born and haul away.Work your way upstream and play with the length of your leader.

I've been finding that fish are hitting more 10 to 20 feet out the last couple of times i've been out.

It's odd, when the river was high and dirty I was running my indicator at 9 feet thinking the water was really deep - and losing flies like crazy. I'm realizing now that the water is clear that these same areas are only 2 to 3 feet at best LOL.

Maybe your leader is too short/long or your dragging bottom too much,or maybe your mending needs some help.

If your right handed fish from river right,cast upstream and out about 0-6' away from the bank let the indi float straight back at you.This keeps the drift drag free.Strip line as it floats back, roll cast it out to get it air born and haul away.Work your way upstream and play with the length of your leader.

Iv got my indicator set up about 6 feet above my fly

if you are not tagging bottom then add more splitshot or heavier flies. If your not setting the hook every time your indicator goes down (this should happen hundreds of times) then you won't catch much anyways. they will not hook themselves :)

if you are not tagging bottom then add more splitshot or heavier flies. If your not setting the hook every time your indicator goes down (this should happen hundreds of times) then you won't catch much anyways. they will not hook themselves :)

Yeah, even your indicator spins even slightly on the surface it's a good habit to lift the rod and feel for resistance. You don't have to rip it out of the water just lift the rod and if you meet resistance then pull up. I have terrible habit of taking indications as hitting bottom and ignoring them. Been really trying to engage my line more on those subtle movements and find myself surprised with what ends up being a take.