Fly Fusion Forums

Need A Structural Engineer

Looking at taking down a load bearing wall and getting it reinforced to join 2 rooms. I think it's a structural engineer I need to tell me what I'd be looking at. Prefer to talk to someone that you've used or know well - kinda like my house standing and I need to be able to trust their advice.

Thanks.

I would say you only need a structural engineer if you decide to use an engineered beam. Depending on how much wall you are taking out you may be able to use a built-up dimensional beam aka 2x10 or 2x12 say 3 or 4 plys. There are span charts that designate load capacity (max span) for built up beams. These charts are essentially carpenters gospel however once you get into engineered products the specs. must be stamped by an engineer, in other words a carpenter can't install an engineered beam unless it is engineered. The products are slick but more expensive and when you add in paying an eng. your costs go up dramatically.

I would suggest contacting city licensing/bylaw/permit dept. and they could likely provide you with some useful information and you may require a permit anyway. Find a qualified carpenter which you will need anyway and there is a good chance you could save a a few hundred bucks and a lot of red tape.

I realize that you are concerned about the job being done properly and not so much on cost but keep in mind that houses were built for a long time with actual wood without any engineering involved so consider this as 2 different options and I would focus on finding a good contractor first.

A carpenters 2 cents.