Fly Fusion Forums

Stocking Report

Ok, two questions about the 2011 stocking report.

1. Beaver Lake (near caroline) is not on the list. I looked at last year's report and they put in 3,500 in May, so I would have assumed they would be doing similar this year. Fiesta is also not listed??? There can only be 3 possible explanations that I can think of. In order of likelihood:

a. SRD are going to still stock 3,500 but do it in the fall so the loons don't enjoy it so much.

b. Forgot to put both lakes on the list.

c. Have somewhat come to their senses and realize that if they are going to raise trophy fish, that they need to stop overpopulating the lake with juvenile fish. However, totally stopping the stocking seems a bit drastic. Why not just drop it to 1,000 into Beaver?

2. Why in the freaking world are they still dumping 56 broodstock rainbows into Cow Lake? What's the point of still dumping them into there with all of the diseased pike? Why not put them into Beaver so that it at least looks like the province can naturally grow a fish to 2 feet? Wouldn't putting them into a lake designated as "quality" help to improve the "quality"??? Or does this just make too much sense to even consider?

Thoughts?

there was smaller fish (8-10") in fiesta two weeks ago. I assume they were stockers. perhaps the list is not updated with all the information yet?

Maybe, but there were entries on the list for June of this year already....

• 3 weeks later...

I fished Mt. Lorrette Ponds in K-Country, just to get on the water since everything is so high and vis so poor. Anyway, it had been recently stocked with nice Rainbows and I dusted off the bamboo rod and caught a couple on 20 June. I went back with the family about 8 days later, after the weekend of 25/26 June the ponds were empty! Not a single fish visible! Jeepers... :crybaby:

I drove the FTR recently and BT and Ft looked pretty good. Didn't have time to cast a line though.

Upper Red Deer was clearing as of early July. Vis about 5-6 feet. A few Bull Trout around. One caught by a member of our group and two LDRs.

tight lines