Fly Fusion Forums

Pondering @ My Vice

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi , My name is Jonathan and I'm a tie a holic . I don't really know what I'm doing sitting at my vice . Yet after I first caught on to this lifestyle first introduced to me as a young lad , by Dad . It took years for it to , but it did .

I love it , I am constantly imagining things and ideas in my mind of creating Fish Catching meals out of threads and materials......I can't stop .

I am searching for a pattern of a somewhat ice weavil with a beadhead or something , this mylar is Great!! I hope that the fish like it as much as I do..

Anyone out here who may have an idea to share or add , would be greatly appreciated !!

Yes , after 10 yrs on the Bow , and a hiatus sponsored by Syncrude and Suncor I am back , and my little SJW's that I have been learning to wrap hooks with , and the fish ...1 WF , 1 Rainbow , and my first two Brown's ever and a couple of....LDR's

The hook is set !!

I have learned tons from Youtube, and other sites on the internet. As for what to tie:

Woolybuggers, clousers,

caddis larvae, pupa, and dries

big stonefly nymphs and dries

small mayfly nymphs, dries

CopperJonny's for sure...

That should keep you busy

I have learned tons from Youtube, and other sites on the internet. As for what to tie:

Woolybuggers, clousers,

caddis larvae, pupa, and dries

big stonefly nymphs and dries

small mayfly nymphs, dries

CopperJonny's for sure...

That should keep you busy

Hi , thank you for the info sharing . Yes , I have begun on a few patterns to date ....

Elk Hair Caddis- light , dark ...14,16

Stimulator- orange dub ,8 ,10's

Wooly Bugger- 8's - 6's

Prince Nymph- I always like to use beadheads , silver /gold/Black 14,16

SJW

Leech

Bow River Midge on Steroids( first time using flashback )

Ice Weevils 12 ,14's and 16

and the list keeps on growing ....Thank You for some great ideas

We should get together some rainy day or evening for a tying party. Been tying myself for almost 30 years, on and off, and I love to see what other people are doing...especially experimentation. That is mind, I would love to see some shots of what you are tying on here, particularly if they have a fished review to go with them.

It would also be great for we tyers to have a network to trade/share/etc supplies (like the year I found myself with a whole deer hide and no-one to share with).

So I have just found a couple of little ziplock bags that I forgot about . Last waterfowl season was good to me , and I jumped on the opportunity to save some goose feathers , with the idea that I may be able to substitute cul de cunard , etc . With them .

I kept some white rump feathers , and some grey ones too + 1/2 & 1/2 . ( Canada Geese )

My thoughts were/are that they will perform as well , for use on dry flies . Being geese , they float very well .

Would anyone here , know if i have the right feathers to do such a thing . And would the white spook the fish .

Any input will be greatly appreciated . I have been searching online , but most of what is mentioned seems to be of Biots , and dying goose feathers ( wing) and they state not to do so as there are "Barbels etc" within the feather and some properties of said feather will be destroyed among others.....I am going to give it a whirl , but I'm hoping that possibly there may be more procedures and ideas that I haven't thought of .

May your reels scream..........J

Hmmm...the photo posting gods are apparently not your friend.

Here is a 'Gob O Worms' from a couple of nights ago (first one I have tied) after seeing it on a site the other day:

009.JPG

GOOD STAR FISH...

Maybe try screening (MAKE ONE).Try one out! then tye one A,B.C.s

My best flys were made when i was killing bugs.In order, shape size and color.