Fly Fusion Forums

Oars, Oar Locks, And Oar Lock Sockets?

Can anyone give me any kind of info on what style of all mentioned in the title is best suited for a drift boat and where a good place around lethbridge is to pick them up at?

Right now I have Carlisle oars that are aluminum with plastic blades. They are 6.5 feet long with red grips on the ends. I would like to be able to use these if possible but I am not sure if they will be long enough. Also there is no kind of sleeve or anything on the shafts so I may need to get something and would like to know what to get and where to get it.

I also have some oar locks that are a zinc clamping style lock but I don't think these are very good and would like to know if there is better styles out there and what they are.

Last but not least the boat that I picked up was homemade and needs to have the exterior refinished but the interior is still in very good shape. I noticed that the builder made some oar lock sockets out of wood and was wondering if I should just use those or go with some sort of metal ones?

I am very new to this whole drift boat thing and would appreciate any help on fixing it up.

Thanks,

Nate

How long and what brand of drifter you have? Those oars are probably too short. For a 14' drift boat, you need about 8.5' oars. You will want metal/brass oarlocks that your oars will slip back and forth in. The clamp or fixed style are fine for lakes, but on a river, even a slow one, they could get you in trouble. It sucks to have to by oars for a drift boat, as they aren't cheap. A new pair of cataracts or sawyers will run you around $500. I have a short set of wood sawyers that I would consider selling if you have trouble finding some down there.

I have fixed up a couple of drift boats. Would be glad to help you out if you have any questions. Is it wood, glass, or aluminum?

I would recommend make some oar-lock sockets out of some type of hard polycarbonate plastic. If you made some new ones out of a good hardwood or teak, that would probably work too.

It is a hand made boat that isn't a normal drifter design. The lady that sold it to me called it a canoe but it very wide and has a flat bottom. She said he husband built the boat by hand years ago to float the bow and oldman rivers and it is made out of oak and teak. I am pretty sure the oar lock sockets are a hard wood so I may just stick with them. The boat is about 4 feet wide and is 12 feet long.

What should I get for my oars, those sleeve with a built in stopper or just the rubber doughnut stoppers? I will have to run the oars I have until I can afford to buy another set. I will look into getting a set of brass oar locks pretty soon.

I will also be cutting some knee locks into both ends and adding a folding back boat seat for the rower. There is already a small spot at the back that will be a good storage area for an anchor and rope so I will get some oak and make a door for that area. I am still unsure what I should do for the whole anchor system yet and am still looking at options. I would like to keep the boat looking like an old fashion boat so the more wood and less metal on the boat would be better for me. I will eventually be getting some wood oars for that reason also.

If you want to pm me your email I can get some pictures and show you what me and my father are working with. I think when we have the outside all refinished it will be a sharp looking boat. I am also hoping I can get my aluminum boat trailer converted into a trailer that can haul this boat.