Fly Fusion Forums

Tying On Elk Hair, Deer Hair Etc.

sirocco

Hi guys,

I've just started learning to tie flies, with the elk hair caddis being the pattern I've been practicing with. A problem I run into consistently is having the elk hair wrap around the fly when I tie it down rather than sit on top. I've done some research on the internet and understand that there is a method to tying it on but I don't quite understand how to do it. I've attached a photo of one of my ehc's, pretty much the only one I've been able to tie down satisfactorily, just to show what I'm trying to achieve consistently.

If anyone can help me out with their tips or tricks, or even point me to a good detailed resource that has eluded me in my search, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

post-251-1189135879.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent

I think what you're looking for is the "pinch" technique

I personally (though im sure the professional tiers will correct me numerous ways) stack the elk hair, measure the correct distance i want it back with my right hand. Hold it where i want to tie it in with my right hand, then grab that spot with the left hand and pinch it between my thumb and forefinger. Then do 2 loose wraps, then 2 tight wraps (using my right hand), and it should be in the position you want it. Let go of your left hand, trim, and whipfinish

I really like the look of this cdc caddis. I will certainly be tying some of these up! Thanks for the link.

I tied with Hans myself, and following the video will, after some practice, create the nice caddis you see on the video.

They also fish very well.

You can use the wing also on the other caddis patterns, not only on the CDC one.

I was planning on showing how to tie them on the Clean up, but that is not going to happen.

Rob

when i have stuff start to go around the hook shank on me it is usually because i didn't wrap with enough thread underneath. the thread will have a higher friction coefficient than the surface of the hook so the hair will stay in place easier.

i'd suspect that you're starting your thread halfway down the hookshank and working your way back to the hook eye where there is no thread base. then you're trying to tie in the elk/deer hair on a bare hook surface.

combine that with brent's pinch technique and you should be golden.

than again i've only been tying for a couple years so it could be a million other things as well. if these suggestions don't work out then post your problem again until it gets fixed!

I might have trouble explaining myself here but when I tie on the elk hair my first wrap loops around the elk hair by itself in the reverse direction. Then I wrap around both hook and hair in my normal direction. So when I first secure the hair the thread travels in a figure-8 when you look down the shaft of the hook. This should keep the hair together. Then I do my normal wraps.

Guest bigbadbrent

i personally just flare it with my fingernail, turn it upside down, and cut at the angle i want, just so i have enough room to put my line through

Great, thanks for the tips guys! I tied a few tonight and it's starting to make sense. Do you have any advice on how to cut the excess and form the head without flattening the wing?

Before anything else, measure the wing. When you are satisfied, take your scissors and cut the hair even with the eye of the hook.

Without moving the hair, take one and a half turn of thread, and start pulling upwards without loosing the grip on the wing.

This will flair the hair in front of your fingers to form a nice head. Now take one turn through the flaired hair at a 45 degree angle.

Whipfinish in front of the head by pulling the hair up and remodel the head afterwards.