Fly Fusion Forums

Help With Cone Head Bow River Bugger

Timo

Just wondering if someone has tips for me on the whip finishing trick(if there is one) between the spun deer hair and the cone?

From all the pictures I see of the bow river bugger with a conehead the spun and clipped deer hair seamlessly meets with the cone.

I am going to tie some tonight and I am looking for any tricks of the trade regarding this one aspect of the fly.

I can tie them without a conehead but I am foreseeing some difficulty.

Is the trick just the way you hold out your tongue when finishing it off?

Can you effectively get head cement in there?

example (not mine) of the clean look I am wanting to achieve

Bow-River-Bugger-Conehead-Side.jpg

Whip finishing shouldn't be much of a problem. Care must be taken not to cut the thread on the cone, going slower than you normally would should help. As for cement I would recommend not using it but waxing the thread before whip finishing should be ok for holding the thread locked. With practice you'll get it.

Whip finishing shouldn't be much of a problem. Care must be taken not to cut the thread on the cone, going slower than you normally would should help. As for cement I would recommend not using it but waxing the thread before whip finishing should be ok for holding the thread locked. With practice you'll get it.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Just wondering if someone has tips for me on the whip finishing trick(if there is one) between the spun deer hair and the cone?

From all the pictures I see of the bow river bugger with a conehead the spun and clipped deer hair seamlessly meets with the cone.

I am going to tie some tonight and I am looking for any tricks of the trade regarding this one aspect of the fly.

I can tie them without a conehead but I am foreseeing some difficulty.

Is the trick just the way you hold out your tongue when finishing it off?

Can you effectively get head cement in there?

example (not mine) of the clean look I am wanting to achieve

Bow-River-Bugger-Conehead-Side.jpg

Just add a little Zap a Gap to your last few wraps of thread before you tie off that will hold the life of the fly

If you don't clip your deer hair before you spin it, you'll have a bit of a handle to pull the collar back giving you some room to throw on a few half hitches or a whip finish. Before you do that, do like Southbow says, and add some zap-a-gap, or head cement to your thread and then half hitch or whip finish.

With the technique Southbow describes using zap-a-gap, you don't even have to half hitch or whip finish, but if I have the room I like to throw on a few half hitches or a whip finish. I usually let the zap-a-gap or head cement dry before clipping to keep things neat. A sharp razor will also tend to give you a nicer more even cut than trimming with scissors. Leaving the deer hair long, you can again use it as a handle when trimming to avoid cutting off your flared collar.