Fly Fusion Forums

Sage 4500 Reels

BammBamm

4500s are pretty rad reels, excellent sealed drag. The only difference between the 4500 and the 4500cf is that the CF has a carbon fibre spool that makes the real cheapier. I prefer the look of the 4500, the spools swap from either 4500 or 4500cf. There really isn't a "better" between the two. The 4200 is a great real from Sage at a great price.

As for the rod why not a 690 or 6100, i'm sure like many others you've always wanted a few extra inches

4500s are pretty rad reels, excellent sealed drag. The only difference between the 4500 and the 4500cf is that the CF has a carbon fibre spool that makes the real cheapier. I prefer the look of the 4500, the spools swap from either 4500 or 4500cf. There really isn't a "better" between the two. The 4200 is a great real from Sage at a great price.

As for the rod why not a 690 or 6100, i'm sure like many others you've always wanted a few extra inches

I like the 691 because of the wells grip. So if I bought the 4500cf and found it too light then I could just buy the 4500 spool and swap it out, then I would have a 4500.

I am just looking for some feed back on the Sage 4500 series reel. And the diffrence in the 4500 compared to the 4500CF. Which one is better. It is going on a sage Z-Axis 690 or 691 rod.

Thanks

I have a 691 with a 4500. I just didn't think the CF would be as durable as the Al, and weight wasn't a concern. You can also use the old 2500 series spools in the 4500 if you happen to come across any.

I have a 691 with a 4500. I just didn't think the CF would be as durable as the Al, and weight wasn't a concern. You can also use the old 2500 series spools in the 4500 if you happen to come across any.

I am going with the 4560. should be a nice reel. how do you like the 691??

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

as much as i love the sage reels i would not get one! they are extremely fragile when it comes to gravity and rocks. for much less money you can get into a Redington with the same drag tech (same company)

I have a 4550CF and a 4580CF.

The 4550CF is my go to lake reel attached to a Z-Axis 590. I have three spare spools for the 4550CF, one dry line, one medium sink, one midge tip and one fast sink.

I use the 4580CF on a 9'6" Winston 2 piece, my go to nymph rod for the Bow.

Great reels light, great drag system, did I mention light.... great for us old guys.

DanP :)

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the 690 with a 4560. Zero complaints here. A friend just gave me a ridge line for it and am looking forward to trying it. The reel (bought used) did break on me once, the spindle came right out of the housing. Sage fixed it free of charge.

I've always wondered about putting a full wells grip on my 690. Does anyone out there with some some building knowledge know if this is this possible without too much of a hassle?