Fly Fusion Forums

A Little Pond Fishin

ham

Spent the weekend out at my Grandparents place in central alberta so I got to do a little fishing at my uncles pond in his backyard, theres a some decent fish in there that have managed to winter a couple seasons. I had to play around to figure out how to cast in the gale force winds...okay a little bit of an exageration but it was pretty windy all day. Managed to land and release 9 rainbows in an hour, but the 10th fish (first picture) didnt want to be revived and ended up being my lunch in the frying pan. I think thats the first fish i've ever caught that i've eaten. The first 7 fish were all caught on a deep october caddis below an indy and the last 3 were taken on a big hopper. Although I did pretty well the fish seemed to be a little smaller then the ones i caught in the spring, I think the hurons might have picked off some of the bigger ones. Guess I wont know if they're still there untill I go back at thanksgiving. haha. The best part was I outfished my uncle and dad who decided they would spin cast, suckers only caught 2 fish I think :lol:

02SEP2007MARIANSMOMCONSORT056.jpg

02SEP2007MARIANSMOMCONSORT052.jpg

02SEP2007MARIANSMOMCONSORT049.jpg

02SEP2007MARIANSMOMCONSORT039.jpg

02SEP2007MARIANSMOMCONSORT037.jpg

02SEP2007MARIANSMOMCONSORT033.jpg

02SEP2007MARIANSMOMCONSORT029.jpg

Cool, you are privelleged to have a stocked pond like that. I dream of owning one of those.

A lot of Hutterite colonies will stock their dugouts. If you talk to them...sometimes they let you fish them. I was at one colony a few years back and there were 5lb rainbows rolling on the surface. We fished it later and it was, well.....just too damn easy! Felt like I was at a hatchery or something!