Fly Fusion Forums

Spinning Reel/fly Rod Combo

tgo

I know this topic may be taboo amongst some flyfisherman, I do like to sometimes use a spinning reel when fishing nymphs and more commonly streamers on small streams like the Dogpound. I usually just use a light spinning rod as well, but I think I heard somewhere that using a fly rod with the spinningreel is the best way to accomplish this, why? I'm confused why a fly rod would make that much of a difference. I like the long drift on difficult current schemes and the ability to fish streamers deeper but I've never thought about the rod part. I think bringing a spinning reel on an outing is pretty convenient if you just switch reels with the same rod. Anybody else use this type of rig, and are there any tips you may have for the rest of us? Thanks.

its not the best way...its the simples, easiest way too fish A streamer...streamers often have lead eyes conead and more lead in teh body. they are big bulky ahrd too cast and are usually flyfished swung or stripped wich is similar too swimming and twitching a jig on bottom...ide rather toss em with a flyrod and i think thats were the shitshow starts...the longer rod (flyrod) with more guides, will toss a lure farther than any average (shorter) spinnin outfit...think of the levrage with the whole catapolt/lob spin technique :lol:

Thanks for the response Maxwell. What do you do when you fish a small creek with a streamer and there's no room to backcast and there's spooky fish everywhere? Why would a conventional fly rod and reel be the best choice, but not neceassarily the easiest? Thanks man.

practice makes it the best...try casting infront of you left and right(watchout for a lil chin music aka piercings)...or a single spey cast and swing down too them....if ur fishing close water like the dogpound u need too use the river for ur backcasting room if the banks are lined with obstructions(bushes trees cliffs etc.) cast up or down stream with a slight angle too present the fly rather than across the river facing the other banks making ur back cast go in teh bushes.......the best way i found is too practice my casting stroke under the conditions i wish too cast in(wander from traditional 10 and 2 stuff and experament)...its all about the love and challenge of flycasting dude i will get frustrated and tangle and whatnot but everyone gets that, if u or anyone else chosses too fish flies another way thats great...it may be more effective or easier it may not. butnothing beat casting a flyrod and lineliek u have probably become aware since u started too transition...its tricky..kinda like ur question, take care dude and good luck too ya