Fly Fusion Forums

Not As Many Lakers Part 3

cowtownscribe

On the way back to the lodge, we saw this caribou standing atop a ridge on an island. When we tried to get closer for some pictures, he ran away. We thought that he seemed rather spooky – but left it at that. When we rounded the island, he was just getting into the water to swim toward the mainland. Although frustrating trying to focus in a rocking boat, we ended up taking a ton of pictures. All I can say is thank god for high capacity storage cards and great burst rates. When the caribou reached the shore and climbed up on the rocks, we discovered why he was behaving the way he was. He had a big wound in his left rear flank, and to us it looked like a griz had taken a swipe at him.

FEW_20100909_5057.jpgFEW_20100909_5061.jpg

Getting back to camp, we took some time to chillax on the picnic table in front of the lodge. There were a lot of these immature Harris’s Sparrows around, and I couldn’t resist some shots. For the record, the guides call these LBB’s, or LBJ’s which stands for Little Brown Birds or Little Brown Jobs.

FEW_20100909_5160.jpg

On our last day we headed out by boat again – but this time in the opposite direction to a place called Caribou Bay. On our way there, we stopped to get some fish for the shore lunch. So here is the obligatory hero shot of me holding a 12lb Lake Trout I caught on an Al’s Ciscoe pattern.

FEW_20100909_2979.jpg

Scenery-wise the day was a carbon copy of the one before. The only picture I took that is a bit different from the hundred’s of others, is this view from the bay at Shore Lunch peninsula looking back out into the main lake.

FEW_20100910_5223.jpg

It was what happened after supper that was most memorable. It was 10:00pm, and we had just finished watching a slide show of our favourite shots from the trip. Our leader, Dr. Robert Berdan asked if anyone had checked to see if the Aurora was out. I went outside and looked up to see an amazingly clear sky with millions of stars and a band of Northern Lights just starting to form. We all scrambled to get our gear set up, but there really was no rush – it just got better and better as the night wore on. Rob and I ended up called it quits at 1:30 in the AM, as the Aurora was staring to wane, and the cooling temperatures were causing condensation on our lenses. It really didn’t matter anyway – between the two of us I’m sure we had close to 1000 pictures!

FEW_20100910_5247.jpgFEW_20100911_5336.jpgFEW_20100911_5275.jpg

Unreal! Love the shots of the Aurora Borealis. Particularly like the first one with the gate/antlers in the foreground; sweet shot! Is that streak on the

right a shooting star? I made a wish on it, just in case... ;)

Unreal! Love the shots of the Aurora Borealis. Particularly like the first one with the gate/antlers in the foreground; sweet shot! Is that streak on the

right a shooting star? I made a wish on it, just in case... ;)

Thanks for the kind words.

Yup - that is indeed a shooting star. There was a bunch of them that night. Rob put together a time-lapse on his website that shows more:

http://www.canadiannaturephotographer.com/

Rob's aurora shots are even more spectacular, as he was better able to pick up the mauve colours with his f1.4 lens!

Frank.