Fly Fusion Forums

Time For Permanent Safeguards For British Columbia's Sacred Headwaters

Gaffer

I thought this might be timely given many people around here are thinking steelhead this time of year.

http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5875/p...action_KEY=1444

Time for Permanent Safeguards for British Columbia's Sacred Headwaters

It's been one year since the BC government placed a moratorium on Shell's coalbed methane drilling in northern BC's Sacred Headwaters. Community opposition to Shell's project remains high. People in the Northwest and around the world want permanent safeguards for the shared birthplace of the Skeena, Nass and Stikine Rivers.

Please take a moment to send the letter below to Royal Dutch Shell and BC's Minister of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources.

Andrew

Personally if the people truly don't want it i don't think shell should be aloud, that said, i don't think there is a real representation of the people opinion there. That said, i would rather see shell in there than many other oil and gas out fits, as shell has one of the better track records in canada on safety and enviromental awareness and safe guards. If they don`t drill for it now they will come back later, and one day someone WILL drill for it.

You think that if anyone, Shell should drill in the Spatsizi Plateau?!? NO ONE should drill in the Sacred headwaters/spatsizi plateau area. Headwaters of three of the most important watersheds of the north pacific...check out www.skeenawatershed.com for information regarding Ali Howard and her swim of the entire Skeena River to raise awareness for the plight of the sacred headwaters. I dare you to swing a fly in any of the many legendary tributaries to the Skeena, including the skeena mainstem itself, the Bulkley, Kispiox, Babine, Sustut, and on and on and then say that you'd support ANY company drilling in the headwaters of this miracle. Bet you'd change your mind, its tough to relate to something you've never had the pleasure of experiencing.

Have fish the skeena and Buckley, and im suppose to head back up there with my boss (he still has his house in smithers) That said you missed my point, altogether, first if the people that live there dont want it than there should not be drilling. My second point is one day it will happen, that is a gurantee, thats just the way it is. I dont support it, but i do know it will happen one day, could be in 100 years from now but it will happen.

Salmon swim many of the rivers headed at the Spatsizi, Salmon are federally legislated, not provincially, so as a tax paying Canadian citizen I would like to add my vote to the "Against" side. I am not okay with Shell (or any other oil and gas corporation for that matter) endangering the anadromous runs so important to me. I realize that there are many BC locals who would welcome the jobs that a project like this would bring, but I can garauntee you that local opposition to the project is prevalent. We can cross the 100 years from now bridge in 100 years, the world will be a much different place, perhaps safer technology will exist for exploiting the deposit. For now I am all for protection, which you should be too if the Skeena and her fish mean anything to you.