Fly Fusion Forums

Coho Flies For Haida Gwaii

creekside

I'm heading to Haida Gwaii for 4 days at the beginning of Oct. Have fishe the Tellel in the past and the coho fishing was excellent, with more time off plan to check out other options. Plan to only fish intertidal areas (cheaper). Would appreciate any advice on flies and rivers.

Thanks in advance Ray

I'm heading to Haida Gwaii for 4 days at the beginning of Oct. Have fishe the Tellel in the past and the coho fishing was excellent, with more time off plan to check out other options. Plan to only fish intertidal areas (cheaper). Would appreciate any advice on flies and rivers.

Thanks in advance Ray

Blue weighted marabou dead drifted under an indicator will do the job. Coho attack blue and you have to get it in their face. I have also had coho slam when I am stripping line in after a swing. Look for "dead" water - they seem to like slow and deep, eddies, snyes, etc.

Edit: I didn't finish reading your post before responding - I haven't fished coho in intertidal areas - probably stripping or trolling a blue/white bucktail or deceiver would do the trick though. If you are in a boat, they are aparently attracted to the wake/propwash, so keep a short line when trolling...

Blue weighted marabou dead drifted under an indicator will do the job. Coho attack blue and you have to get it in their face. I have also had coho slam when I am stripping line in after a swing. Look for "dead" water - they seem to like slow and deep, eddies, snyes, etc.