Fly Fusion Forums

Amphibians

Christofficer

I was wondering if someone has any simple but effective smaller salamander/frog/tadpole patterns? I'm curious to tie some up and try them out. I imagine tadpoles would be the best bet as we have a healthy population of wood frogs and boreal chorus frogs. Haven't ever been able to catch a tiger salamander, but information shows they're pretty large, too large for most trouty waters. So salamander patterns should be in their larval state, unless someone has better info. I'd appreciate any info on the topic.

Tiger salamanders are mainly terrestrial, except to breed. They breed in still ephemeral ponds. Not a trout food source, really.

I'm sure tadpoles are eaten by trout in some waters. A small leach pattern would probably do the trick.

Tadpoles are easy enough to imitate, black muddler head, sparse black marabou tail. Even produces a swimming motion. I have it on good authority that tadpoles are not a trout food source, as they are basically unavailable, and supposedly taste bad. That fly still works though.

Go to glenmore landing!

Lots of sallies around there?

Thanks for the tips everyone. I figured the salamanders themselves wouldn't necessarily be a good food source for trout, considering how big the tiger salamanders get. I just find them fascinating, like all amphibians, but I ignored them in terms of fishing. I'll try tying up what you recommended junior.

on the other hand, do pike eat them?

Guest Jeremie

Someone on the BC fishing board cleaned a big rainbow with its gut stuffed full of sallies. I would give a few a try. He used a floating foam pattern waked across the lake to imitate it after and he had marginal success.

• 2 weeks later...