Fly Fusion Forums

Vancouver Island 2010 Full Report

Guest FoamStoner

Guest Jeremie

All of the pinks were over 18”, they averaged 20-21” but they ranged from 18-26” all fish were released unharmed.

So here’s how it all went down. Arrived in Comox late Thursday night (Aug. 5), got the rods, bags etc, got the rental car and off we went to Campbell River. We got to our cabin (elk falls resort) on the Campbell River and got settled.

Day 1, by the time I finally fell asleep, it was about 2:30. My alarm was set for 4:45. Too much anxiety. Woke up even earlier then my alarm around 4. Got up had a shower pounded a glass of OJ back and a muffin and I walked out and hit the Roderick Haig brown run. Had the entire pool to ourselves for 4 hours which is rare, first cast in with the switch rod, Fish on. But lost after a long fight and a quick break off. Cousins first cast resulted in a fish too, this time landed, A beauty of a 4 pound hen.

SAM_0271.jpg

Then we witnessed a high tide that brought in over 1500 pink we were told, all dime bright. The morning goes on. The Sunlight breaks through, after about 2 hours of slamming pinks. My cousin hooks into something on his 6 weight. I Watch as he fights this thing, and I exclaimed “Budd you definitely got the bottom” Of course the second after I say that, the surge in is rod was so powerful the fish ripped across the river. After a long run, he managed to work the fish back in. After the fish got close enough (by this time i was looking for the fish and I had the net ready) I watched something over 30” sit on the bottom with the bright fly sticking out of his mouth. Not a single movement. I give some advice, and we finally agree to point the rod at the fish to see if he will budge. (15 minutes in) The rod once again *springs* to life. They both dog it out for another little while, still no sign of exhaustion from the fish. We get one chance at this monster once he got in close enough, I swoop the net... missed. One powerful headshake and *snap* (10 pound test gone in a single headshake) biggest fish of the week lost. From what I could see in the water it was a completely black back with dozens of tiny black spots, unlike the large oval spots of a pink. Massive tail and head and would stick on the bottom.

SAM_0286.jpg

SAM_0297.jpg

SAM_0297.jpg

SAM_0276-1.jpg

SAM_0277.jpg

SAM_0280.jpg

Fished the afternoon and the evening and landed more, Dozens of fish landed that day.

Guest Jeremie

Day 2, Best day of them all, I was the only one to wake up at 5 so I went out on my own and caught a boat load in the morning. So many I lost track, but the fishing never slowed down with the cloud cover and rain. I finally found that the pinks would chase the fly on the strip. My cousin wouldn’t believe it. It rained like crazy and started slow for the others until they started throwing a retrieve in. My cousin hooked up on the strip 10 times to which he said, “They’re taking it on the strip eh?” The weather was the s*its but caught about 100 fish landed between the four of us throughout the day and we took a break, had we not, we could’ve doubled that, a good 90 percent fair hooked, others were an unfortunate snag. Had 4 pinks take the poppers in fresh water (frog water) and landed 3 of them. Had another dozen follow the popper but nothing ended up happening besides that. Had my uncle and dad over a run of about 300 fish, where I could sight the fish as they nipped at the flies. We all hooked up numerous times.

P8080351.jpg

P8090355.jpg

P8070342.jpg

P8070341.jpg

23” buck 6 pounds by estimate 12” of girth

P8070346.jpg

P8070335.jpg

P8070340.jpg

Uncles first!

P8070326.jpg

P8070328.jpg

And another

P8070325.jpg

Guest Jeremie

Day 3, All 4 of us got up early and headed for the Haig brown run again, pounded pinks on my Spey for a while. Fishing started to slow down, and i was switching flies. As I was switching the fly I wanted came unravelled, but I was so lazy I didn’t bother changing it. 3 Swings in I hooked up in a big fish, awesome fight for a good 10 minutes and landed a beauty buck pink at about 26” and 7 pounds.

Do I look happy enough?

P8070303.jpg

P8070304.jpg

P8070305.jpg

P8070311.jpg

I would figure from the hump plus the thickness. The fly was literally a piece of tinsel, with a silver bead and some chartreuse thread. We packed up the rods and headed to the gold. Not much action on a trail run I was told by Courtney (Nile Creek fly shop Owner) until I hit a beautiful 10-15 foot deep pool. I Put the orange and black bunny comet into the run and watched closely. I thought I saw a shape come off the bottom to take a look but wasn’t sure. I thought, might as well give a steelhead bomber a swing, first cast right on top a massive 26-32” Steelhead lifted from the bottom (at this point I had swallowed my tongue, *hit my pants, pissed myself, soiled myself all of the above) and came to the surface, took one sniff of my dry and at the last second, turned away.. I can sure tell you I was a little heartbroken.

Came out of that run and hit the Heber river inflow. Saw many sockeye stacked up and jumping but couldn’t coax one. Then saw a beauty steelhead breech, along with a spring and then followed by a Coho..... NOTHING not a sniff from any of those fish. But I did have a cutthroat chase my egg pattern, but he then turned away. Packed up headed back to our cabin. Then saw the movie Dinner for schmucks. Great movie!

Guest Jeremie

Day 4, got up as early as we could again for the last day of my cousin and uncles trip. Caught a whole ton of pinks again in the early morning still not getting boring, headed to the island pool on a Monday morning, but there was 14 people up and down the pool... ON A MONDAY MORNING! DONT PEOPLE HAVE TO WORK? Packed My cousin and uncle up and ran them to the airport.

I sight fished this guy, watched him pop up from the pod and take the fly right as I stripped it!

P8080349.jpg

P8080348.jpg

P8070333.jpg

P8090354.jpg

Guest Jeremie

Day 5, just me and my dad, Flipped flopped on going to Qualicum area, decided to stay and fish a river renowned for cutthroat. What a great decision, 12 fish hooked in about 2 hours of fishing between 8-19” on the five weight for myself, and about 10 for the old man. I caught a beauty of a rainbow at about 19” that was great on the 5 weight, and as well as a dark pink on an egg pattern!

SAM_0316.jpg

SAM_0314.jpg

SAM_0318.jpg

SAM_0323.jpg

SAM_0315.jpg

SAM_0310-1.jpg

SAM_0326.jpg

SAM_0325.jpg

SAM_0331.jpg

Guest Jeremie

That night hit the Campbell and did well on the island pool. My dad lost another big buck but we hooked into about 12 over the course of 2 hours.

SAM_0330.jpg

P8070337.jpg

Guest Jeremie

Day 6, we finally ended up moving from the Campbell, but only to fish the cutthroat river again. We had a few hits, but no hook ups on anything decent, just a 4” fish on a size 20 dry. Many big cutties spotted in a pool but they wouldn’t budge. We then head to the Qualicum beach/Bowser area. Got into the Nile creek fly shop. Picked up some flies and tube fly tying materials, and headed out to the big Qualicum = BUST, nothing, just tiny little fry along the river. Can’t really get much access as the natives have close the river below the hatchery! Very frustrating, but decided to hike a section. But that still Didn’t get us anything.

Day 7 final day, Slept in, so much for going to the stamp! Just stuck around Bowser and went into the Nile creek fly shop yet again. Decided to give beach fishing a try for the limited time I had. Lots of pinks jumping, but nothing in good range to cast too. I had 3 come about 30 feet in front of me but they wouldn’t take. Saw a few springs jumping, that was neat, I then threw on a popper for s*its and giggles and had an absolute shark come ripping in on it, but he never full commit and he missed the fly. Nothing on day seven, but we got to the airport and packed up. Awesome trip, could not have asked for anything better.

SAM_0340.jpg

SAM_0336.jpg

SAM_0337.jpg

SAM_0335.jpg

If my dad or uncle or cousin ever take a look at this, I’ve already said thank you so much, it was the best trip I think I’ve ever been on, lots of great stories and tons of fun all around! We got to get out and o more trips and I look forward to more of them! So thanks again!

Guest Jeremie
GREAT post... loved it! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun... those big pinks sure look nice! Real healthy looking fish!

The bucks seem to be the only ones that get that big. They fight better too, Immediately after i set the hook he tore off, i got him close and his tail came out and at that point i knew i was looking at a fish bigger then 5lbs. Thats my biggest on the fly rod to date (Pike in length), and on the first time using a spey rod!