Fly Fusion Forums

Regulation Questions For Licensing?

I was just thinking about this while browsing around the forum. But what if they implemented a small regulations knowledge test before you're allowed to buy your license? Obviously they'd have to be questions that include the entire province.

EG: What bodies of water are you legally allowed to keep bull trout? What bodies of water you're allowed to use barbed hooks on? etc.

I'm just wondering if you guys think this can cut down on people poaching or people not reading the proper regs?

Guest Sundancefisher
I was just thinking about this while browsing around the forum. But what if they implemented a small regulations knowledge test before you're allowed to buy your license? Obviously they'd have to be questions that include the entire province.

EG: What bodies of water are you legally allowed to keep bull trout? What bodies of water you're allowed to use barbed hooks on? etc.

I'm just wondering if you guys think this can cut down on people poaching or people not reading the proper regs?

Unfortunately...I would hazard a guess that excluding the smart people on this board...if one sat at a Canadian Tire and sold 100 licences...probably 2 could pass a simple fish identification test...on a good day.

what about anglers that are very knowledgable in their region and are here visiting? They may have no idea about our regulations until issued a regulations......

Also I think the $$$s used for an infrastructure needed for such testing would surpass the buget of more CO's on the water

Guest Sundancefisher
what about anglers that are very knowledgable in their region and are here visiting? They may have no idea about our regulations until issued a regulations......

Also I think the $$$s used for an infrastructure needed for such testing would surpass the buget of more CO's on the water

I agree. The cost and time to implement would be tough if done at the store level. An alternative would be in order to make your WIN number valid for fishing you would have to pass an online fish identification test. Regulations come and go, changes occur on the Bow as you move downstream, regions have different regs...therefore I am not sure what value a test on the verbiage in the regs makes a lot of sense. Regs change...fish always stay the same. I would rather know someone can tell the difference between a cutt, bull or brookie or between a pike, walleye and perch or whitefish and grayling. An online test that is voluntary would be great to see also.

Cheers

Sun

Another option would be a tiered permit, one for C&R only and another for those who plan to keep thier catch.

I think rather than an exam, I would rather see more officers to educate & enforce out on the waterways.

Andrew

An alternative would be in order to make your WIN number valid for fishing you would have to pass an online fish identification test.

I completely agree with SundanceFisher. I think it's a joke that there is nothing in place whatsoever to ensure those licensed to fish understand anything about species, rules and regs, catch a release tactics. Just one more embarrassing flaw in Alberta's fisheries management.

I agree about the budget part, but in this day & age the regulations are available anywhere you go. You can check them on your iphone, online, fishing stores, whatever....... so that's not really a good excuse. I know before I even made plans to fish anywhere out of province, I've read the regs before I even bought the license. It's just common sense really.

I agree with sundancefisher and kungfool. Even a simple identification test would suffice. I think some of the time out on the water when you see people using bait and barbed hooks or keeping illegal species, it's probable that they just don't know. Atleast a handful of them. And even if they had bought a license, it doesn't mean *hit in the long run because they're handed out like hot cakes to any schmo who thinks he can just go out and do whatever he wants with the river. IMO, having a sportfishing license doesn't mean much in this province besides giving the CO's something to tag you for. Hopefully one day they'll do something with it.