Fly Fusion Forums

Question On Guide Protocol

ÜberFly

I was having a conversation with another board member this afternoon and asked him, neither of us knew, but had our (similar) opinions...To preface this question, I have never been on a guided trip - either float or walk and wade, so I hope I'm not opening up a "can of worms" by asking this question...

On a guided trip (either float or W & W), if it is "ok" for a guide to fish when out with clients?!

P

All depends on the client. I usually bring a rod along though it's not normally strung up. Sometimes guys will ask me to show them how to do something, or they'll take a break on a fish they don't berlieve they can get and say "ok Brian show us what ya got" or something like that. So in short, yes it's OK for a guide to fish if his clients say go ahead ...but no it's not OK for a guide to fish the best spot, or even over a fish he believes is one his clients can reasonably get unless they've given up on that particular fish. Sometimes a guide fishing a bit can be a valuable teaching tool. I ask all the guides I've ever hired to fish with me so I can watch what they do... and act accordingly.

Thanks to those that have responded either on the tread or via PM...

I guess what it boils down to is what one has actually "paid for"... Have you "paid" for a "fishing buddy" or have you "hired" someone to perform a service?!

For me... I already have plenty of "fishing buddies" (and other then maybe a beer or two) I don't have to pay to fish with them!!

P