Fly Fusion Forums

When Things Go Crazy Fast

Buddy decides this morning after way tooo many long island ice teas last night we should spend the day in the mountains. So the delama begins.Drys,nmphps,streamers,6wt,3wt bla bla bla.Get out of the truck and all dressed up.Look at the 3wt collecting dust,grab the dry boxes and away we go.

Fish are slurpin and splashn.Catch a few cutties and bows and we work up the river.Fish are poundin the big bugs so i rig up with a big old stonefly with a smaller para trailing about 3 ft behind.Big stone would catch their attention then they would hit the smaller dry.

I get into a run make a 10 ft cast and a fish rolls my stone,missed.Cast again fish comes up and refuses the smaller dry.This goes on for 20 frigin minutes.Getting frustrated i reload.cut off my tippet.tie 6 x to the stone tie on a #16 compadun. Cast out and *hit a snout comes up and sips the dun so pretty.tighten up and hell breaks loose.My old 3wt reel is smokin.There goes the fly line ,there goes the backing.WTF.So i give chase.Get some line back.loose lots more.Then mr fishie decides he wants to leave the country.he gets into some slack and i cant move it.So im reeling,net in hand.See the fish sulking on the bottom.Just walked up behind it and slid the net under it.

Friggin 27 inch bullie on a #16 dry.

If i had known it ws a bull.i may have just hit the brake and let the 6x snap.

There have been posts on how long or how to play a fish.But when unexpected things happen,and your undergunned.Do you risk wearing the fish out or hit the brake and say see ya.Think it could have lasted a lot longer.

YES RAY I HAVE PICS HAHAHA. Your foam fly rocks .

Dam man that is a great story. Sounds like a wicked fish, I am yet to experience a fish taking off and getting into the backing.

Maybe a good thing as it sounds pretty tiring for the fish but I can only imagine how the old heart is pumping away when you see that last bit of fly line go.

Sorry Brian.

Was a way cool experience.But and there is always a but.I gave my camera to a young lad we were fishn with,so the pics :$*%&: reveal way too much information on the location and im afraid if i posted them this little location would be ruined.Thinks that was my best bullie yet.All these years of chucking double bunnies and clousers made my arms sore.Who would have thought they would eat a #16 dry.

Ps if your in the country stop for a brew i have some sweet pics ta show ya.

The young lad we were teaching to flyfish,suddenly stopped wading in the water.He walked on shore for the next 3 hrs ,way too funny.