Fly Fusion Forums

Southern Alberta Fishing

HopperDropper

I managed to get away for a weekend of fishing and I'm sure glad that I did! Over a period of three and half days of straight fishing, some days from 5am to 11pm, we were able to hit several sections of the Crowsnest River, Oldman River, and South Castle River. On the way back to Calgary, we also fished a few creeks along the forestry trunk road. The fishing was superb in that the action was steady throughout the day the whole weekend. Average trout was 12 - 14 inches. Largest was a 19inch cutthroat trout.

imgp0063g.jpg

imgp0111.jpg

imgp0055x.jpg

imgp0062j.jpg

imgp0091.jpg

imgp0156.jpg

imgp0142.jpg

imgp0113e.jpg

imgp0126.jpg

imgp0133s.jpg

imgp0127p.jpg

imgp0152b.jpg

imgp0153z.jpg

imgp0129a.jpg

An underwater shots with my waterproof camera.

imgp0075j.jpg

Neat Underwater video.

The most memorable hookup was when a whitefish took my nymph and immediately a bulltrout was in pursuit. The bulltrout eventually wrapped its jaw around the whitefish's head and wouldn't let go. I managed to net both fish. Amazingly, I fumbled at least 5 times in attempts to net the fish and the bulltrout remained adamant to not let go.

img1299v.jpg

img1302.jpg

The cherry on top was that I was able to share this experience with a couple old friends whom I have not seen in a long time.

Thanks for sharing pics. Looks like you had a great trip. Need to get down there soon. To bad those cutties mouths are getting so shredded down there. Fished Livingston two years ago and most of the cutties caught were missing part of their lip or it was ripped and hanging there. Can't see it happening with single barbless hooks.

Thanks for sharing pics. Looks like you had a great trip. Need to get down there soon. To bad those cutties mouths are getting so shredded down there. Fished Livingston two years ago and most of the cutties caught were missing part of their lip or it was ripped and hanging there. Can't see it happening with single barbless hooks.

I have to agree that a lot of the larger trout were heavily scarred up or had ripped up lips. I suppose it goes to show that catch and release does work.

very nice pics and post hopperdropper. you just reminded me I have to get down there soon. Howd the whitefish taste?

The whitefish was just OK. I definately prefer the taste of trout. Our portable hiking burner was too small so one of my friends had the idea to cook it on a rock. He even buttered the rock first. He saw it on TV once. I don't think that he cleaned the rock off very well though since I tasted a lot of grit :) Kind of neat anyhow. It's funny how eating hygiene goes out the window when you camping or fishing.

Hey, HopperDropper; sounds like you had a good weekend. Wish I could see all the pics.

Here's a helpful hint: when you upload to Imageshack, choose "resize image?" & pick this option- "640X480(for message boards)".

Then you won't get that "17% of original size" tag at the top of your pics, and my 'puter won't get bored & quit loading pics halfway through; most of the pics, I only see the top half or less.

Please do this in the future; after all, it IS all about me, right??? ;)

The whitefish was just OK. I definately prefer the taste of trout. Our portable hiking burner was too small so one of my friends had the idea to cook it on a rock. He even buttered the rock first. He saw it on TV once. I don't think that he cleaned the rock off very well though since I tasted a lot of grit :) Kind of neat anyhow. It's funny how eating hygiene goes out the window when you camping or fishing.

I've done this a few times, pour coke on the rock and it gives the whitey a nmice sugary hit

Hey, HopperDropper; sounds like you had a good weekend. Wish I could see all the pics.

Here's a helpful hint: when you upload to Imageshack, choose "resize image?" & pick this option- "640X480(for message boards)".

Then you won't get that "17% of original size" tag at the top of your pics, and my 'puter won't get bored & quit loading pics halfway through; most of the pics, I only see the top half or less.

Please do this in the future; after all, it IS all about me, right??? ;)

Bob, These pix are for you. So what you are saying is that not everyone has a 24inch monitor like myself :)

imgp0007v.jpg

imgp0024lq.jpg

imgp0057v.jpg

imgp0011m.jpg

imgp0098.jpg

imgp0132k.jpg

imgp0159k.jpg

imgp0104lq.jpg

img1283r.jpg

Bob, These pix are for you. So what you are saying is that not everyone has a 24inch monitor like myself :)

I think that's what he's saying...mines 32" :P But seriously now, those are some sweet pics. That water is beautiful.