Fly Fusion Forums

Where To Go???

mark38

Hello

I am new to the fly fishing thing and have had some casting instruction as well as a day with Lynda McLennan which provided a little more on entomology. I live in Bragg Creek and have tried numerous spots on the Elbow and could not catch a cold. Have been considering the Highwood or Sheep with hopes it will provide more than casting practice. Any advice would be appreciated.

new2it

I would recommend the Highwood, as you drive along going west from Longview watch out for the yellow Fishing Regulation signs. Those indicate access points to the river. The Elbow where you are and the Sheep upstream from Turner Valley are tough rivers to catch fish. There are also some smaller streams scattered in that country that are worth your time to explore. That's one of the best part of flyfishing, finding a nice place to fish using your own wits. Good luck and have fun.

I would recommend the Highwood, as you drive along going west from Longview watch out for the yellow Fishing Regulation signs. Those indicate access points to the river. The Elbow where you are and the Sheep upstream from Turner Valley are tough rivers to catch fish. There are also some smaller streams scattered in that country that are worth your time to explore. That's one of the best part of flyfishing, finding a nice place to fish using your own wits. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the info. That was going to be my next choice. Just thought of giving the Elbow a good go as it is my backyard. Fishing reports do not seem to help much as it is the Bow and Crowsnest primarily. I have a 6 wt so smaller streams may be difficult. I will let you know how I make out.

• 2 weeks later...

The Elbow has been hit and miss for me, but I've generally had success there either from 9am-noon or in the evenings. Just cover a lot of water with a hopper/dropper, hitting the best spots first, and you maybe surprised at what you may encounter.

Another option would be to hit up some high mountain lakes like Elbow Lake, Picklejar, or Rawson for casting practice.